Premed 101 Forums

Why should I choose Western Meds?

Guest not too sure

Guest not too sure

I have been accepted into Western, Queen's, and U of T meds, but am having the toughest time choosing between the 3. I did my undergrad at Queen's, and live close to Toronto, but am considering Western as well. Could someone please help me compare the three schools, and tell me features of Western that give it an edge over the other two? What makes this school different? I hope that this will help me be better informed when I make my decision.

Thanks for your help!

Guest aneliz

Well...obviously the UWO moderators are going to be a little bit biased...but here are the biggest selling points for UWO as I see it:

1. Student input - Administration really cares about student input here...there is at least one student on every faculty committee...from "progress, awards and appeals" (which approves grades and deals with people that are failing) to Dean search committees (there were two students on the interview panel when candidates for associate dean were interviewed) to curriculum committee...etc. Lots of student input in all levels of the faculty...don't know about Queens...but my impression of UofT was that they could care less what their students thought about most things...(this could be a mis-perception...but that is the impression I got)

2. $$$ - we pay less tuition and have FAR lower living expenses that UofT...about equal to Queen's. UofT has been fond of telling students that 'they won't freeze tuition' if they can get away with it. Meanwhile, our Dean has promised to do everything she can to minimise any future tuition hikes...she holds an annual town hall meeting to tell you where your tuition money has gone and answer questions. In addition, 15 1st year students will be getting $20 000 per year x 4 year bursaries based on financial need. Don't think either UofT or Queen's have that.

3. Atmosphere - we are a big enough but not too big school. Lots of extra-currics and good community feeling between students. We are not a commuter school (as UofT tends to be given the cost of housing downtown)....probably similar to Queens...

4. Clerkship - we have a full-year clerkship starting in Sept (not Jan like Queens) of second year. We do all of our core rotations first and then have all of our electives in a block between Sept-Dec of fourth year (meaning that ALL of your core rotations are done and you have plenty of knowledge and skills to shine with when you go on elective to other schools...unlike UofT and Queens students...who may be doing an elective in a specialty at another school before they have done the 'core' teaching on it at their own school. This has several advantages - 1. you have seen all of the areas so you have a pretty good idea of what your interests are - you won't be 'wasting' an elective by doing an elective in an area that you will change your mind about later. 2. You will have already done the core teaching - better for impressing people at other schools with your skills...it is hard to impress and get letters if you don't have the knowledge. and 3. some schools won't take you as an elective student unless you have already done the core rotation at your home school...meaning that if you really, really want to do a surgery elective, but you haven't done surgery yet in your clerkship, you may have more trouble finding a school that will take you for a surgery elective.) Another advantage to UWO is that you will be FINISHED all of your 'clinical' teaching (clerkship and electives) BEFORE CaRMS...big bonus..and you get a month OFF to go to CaRMS interviews. Next good thing about clerkship is that you are FIRST CALL - meaning that you get to see a lot more, do a lot more and learn a lot more. Not sure about Queen's but I know that UofT clerks GO HOME at midnight when they are on call (because there are too many bodies kicking around UofT hospitals already without clerks in the way) and definitely don't write their own orders with the freedom there is at UWO. We also have a strong rural/regional program...meaning that you can do part/all of 3rd year outside of a large teaching centre.. this means that if you chose to go rural/regional you can be first assist on surgeries, deliver 40+ babies on OB, etc.

Those are my highlights...

Guest peachy
my impression of UofT was that they could care less what their students thought about most things
In the first or second week of school, I told a faculty member that I had a Tablet PC. She immediately asked me to join a committee that's working on integrating computers into the curriculum. *My* impression is that they WANT student input at U of T!

(UWO sounds like a great place. I bet it's even possible to talk about how great it is without mentioning how awful U of T is... :P )

Guest aneliz

The intent was not to show that UofT is an awful place... the request was for a direct comparison between UWO and UofT and Queens...from the UWO perspective... and so, that is what was offered...with the disclaimer that it *is* biased and that my opinions/perceptions of UofT and Queens were exactly that...my perceptions given my limited dealings as an applicant to those institutions...and they may/may not reflect what actually is.

Feel free to add the UofT perspective of UofT vs UWO and Queens... it is something that only a UofT student can provide. :)

Guest Turquoise678

Hi, not too sure... I am in the same position (McMaster, Western, or U of T). Right now it's between U of T and Western, and I'm not sure which one to pick, either.... you're not alone!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mozad

Well making a decison like that is a bit tough. I got admissions offers at UofT and Western. Although I respect UofT's size and great downtown location, I utlimately decided on Western because I had done my undergraduate work at UofT. Personally I felt I needed to experience a new city and a new university to help with my growth. I was also impressed with the students and the warmth I felt during the interview process which made the decision even easier. Well good luck deciding, and who knows, maybe I'll see you next year.

Archived