Premed 101 Forums

Why were we waitlisted?

Guest choti

Guest choti

One thing I have noticed about med school applications is that sometimes the reasoning behind who gets right in and who is waitlisted is a bit of a mystery...I know some people who thought their interview was dreadful and yet they got in, and others who thought they had done well and yet they were waitlisted or rejected.

For me personally, I had a feeling my UWO interview was not so hot...i got very lost on one of the ethics questions, and I ended up on the waitlist. Out of curiousity (and to kill time til the next round of offers), does anyone else have any idea why they were waitlisted, or conversely, is anyone mystified as to why they were waitlisted/accepted/rejected?

Guest Chapsony

Hey all,

How do you guys know you were 'listed. i haven't heard a peep from UWO and am starting to think I was rejected.

Good luck to all of you but I hope the list moves quickly!!!!

sony

I'm a little mystified. I was accepted at Western, where I thought my interview was so-so, and waitlisted at Queen's and UoO, where I thought my interviews were great. I was also waitlisted at UoT, but I thought my interview was beyond terrible, and I was convinced I would be rejected straight out. Just goes to show you really can't tell!

Guest aneliz

I was outright accepted to UWO the year I applied...and I thought that my interview was *horrible* (it was <30 min long and there was not one smile from an interviewer!)... you really can't tell how they will mark you from your interactions with them during the interview... You can know if you said something really dumb (ie - I want to be a doctor so I can hurt people - I mean help people...) or if you had really solid answers for the questions. However, you will not necessarily be able to judge how they will rank you overall - which is very important to whether you get in or 'listed.

The interview process is much more of a 'global' assessment of the applicant than a question-answer-score style oral exam....and some interviewers are warmer/smile more or are colder/smile less...that is a characteristic of them, not necessarily a reflection on how the interview is going....and may/may not correlate with the score you get on your interview.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I was very fortunate in that my post-interview impressions turned out to be pretty much 100% accurate. I felt that my UWO and Queen's interviews went really well and I was offered initial acceptance to both. I thought that my Ottawa interview was horrible and got 'bad' waitlisted (pretty much their version of a rejection, but I didn't care b/c I got the school I wanted anyway). Sometimes it varies, but I guess that I was fortunate in that regard.

Don't forget that interviewers are marking your answers for content and suitability for a medical career, etc. during your interview, so it isn't necessarily being challenged/totally shot down/getting into a big shouting match that determines whether or not your interview was poor or not. One can paint a totally poor impression of themselves without their having to be total fireworks, just as one can paint a totally strong impression of themselves when it seems that the world is crumbling around them. While I agree that determinants of this impression/suitability of the applicant are very subjective and always will be, it's the system that is in place and it is the best that we've got. Hope that this helps!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived