Premed 101 Forums

5th Year

Guest HHSAC

Guest HHSAC

I have a question regarding admissions. I'm in my 4th year at U of T, and i have completed 22 credits already. This year my GPA is a 3.85, and it is the only year that meets the requirement for UWO (full course load and GPA). I am planning to do a 5th year starting sept. I can request to graduate at this time and complete what UWO terms the "special year" . However, i am planning to request graduation next year instead. This gives me the advantage of being able to register in courses as a degree student and hence earlier, ensuring that i am able to reserve a spot in the classes i choose. It also gives me the chance to improve my CGPA such that i graduate with high distinction, which is noted on the degree. At the end of 2004-2005 i will have 27 credits.

I would just like to confirm the validity of this course of action. Would UWO have any problems with me continuing on in 5th year without graduating this year?

I've emailed admissions as well and i tried calling them a couple of times today but couldnt get through. I need a quick answer since i have to make a decision ASAP.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

So long as the majority of your courses are at the honours level (3rd year or above), or whatever the website says, and you take a full courseload (5.0 credits or more), UWO will not care that you have not graduated yet. Just make sure that you don't load up on 1st year courses and you should be good to go!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest aneliz

Shouldn't be a problem....however if you were to perform the same trick next year (ie for a 6th year rather than graduating) they would probably have something to say about it.

Archived