Premed 101 Forums

UWO application

Guest surajca

Guest surajca

hi, I had a concern about the application process:

I applied with only 1 year above the cutoff... so, this year i require a gpa greater than 3.7 to qualify for admission. however, I have recently learnt that i will not be awarded a credit for one of my courses(which happens to be the third non-science course) because it exceeded the number of first year courses allowed at my university. So, although i have a full COURSE load, i have only 4 credits for this year..... My question is, will this affect the admissions offer from UWO (i have already been interviewed)

Guest aneliz

Hi,

Unfortunately this is not going to be good news. Given that you have only one year that is above the cut-off (enough to be offered an interview, but not good enough to get an acceptance), any acceptance that you receive will be conditional on you having completed

1. Another FULL TIME undergraduate level year in the same degree program that is >3.70

2. Having fulfilled all of the pre-req courses.

Seeing as you have not been given credit for the course, you have two problems...you no longer have a full-time year and you are missing a pre-req. This is a rather unique situation in that you actually DID take a full course load and DID take that pre-req....but if your institution is not going to give you credit for it, you are going to have to do some intersting bargaining with UWO to get THEM to give you credit. I don't think it will be successful, but it is worth a shot.

Unfortunately, if you are not successful in getting it recognised, your acceptance will be rescinded... which sucks.

Good luck!

Guest mdhopeful23

hi,

isn't there also some mention about having 2/3 of your courses be 'upper year'? i can't quite remember how it goes...

im not sure if this a concern for you. i hope things work out okay tho, it would stink to lose your acceptance based on a 'technicality' :(

Guest seonagh

When you say, won't be awarded credit, do you mean as far as your uni is concerned or period (i.e. won't even show on transcript.

At my uni I too Physics 121 and later 110, they are two similar to be considered separate credits and used towards my degree but they are there on the transcript an any uni I would apply to would see 2 courses in physics on there with no qualifiers. They aren't the same course so it still fits the rule that UWO has about not repeating the course soo.... before you jump to too many assumptions check on what the transcript will look like.

To my knowledge your uni doesn't need to recognize it as a part of a degree etc etc but I would be surprised if they can just make a course dissapear that you took and passed.

Seonagh

Guest surajca

Hi, I do know for a fact that the course will appear on my transcript. However, it will appear with an 'EXTRA' designation, so that I will have only 4 credits, but 5 courses for the year.So, if I dont have a credit for it, I dont know if OMSAS will count it in my GPA calculations for this year......:(

However, I am in the process of appealing to my own university to drop one of my transfer credits so that this course no longer exceeds the limit for first year courses...so let's see how that turns out

Archived