Premed 101 Forums

Does anyone know anything about this

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Guest PhantomPhoenix

I found this on the website under FAQ's

"Students should note that the level of courses should correspond to the 'year' of their program. For example, if a student is registered in the third year of their undergraduate degree program then three out of the five courses must be at the third year level."

It isn't under Admission Requirements though or on the omsas site

Can some moderator verify this, bc this really ruins my plans of taking it easy next year.

What happens if bc of program requirements I have left, I can't make that requirement?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

If you found it on Western's website, then it is official policy- not sure why something you read on the Western site would be trumped by something you read on this site. Since that is the policy, then you should really choose your courses carefully next year. There's no point in shooting yourself in the foot by overloading with 100 level courses, so select your courses for next year wisely. You can still take it easy next year, but don't screw your chances of admission in the process.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest PhantomPhoenix

My problem is that I need at least 2 1st yr courses which I am missing for my degree and several 2nd yrs, so it is unlikely for me to actually take 3 3rd yrs next year.

I already have my 3rd yr requirements. In addition, I still have to get alot of my minor requirements which means more 2nd yr courses next yr as they are prereqs for courses I need in my last year.

I better just email them, this is going to give me a headache.

Guest PhantomPhoenix

And the course level requirement, I found under the FAQ's section on Western's website. But it is not under Admission Requirements or OMSAS

>:

Guest Ian Wong

Yeah, I'd definitely give the UWO office a shout, seeing as they'll be the ones looking at your transcript and courseload. Hope it turns out well for you! :)

Ian

Guest arjuna83

You can always complete some of those 1st or 2nd year course requirements this summer and/or next, so that would ease your course distribution problems to an extent.

Guest aneliz

you can also take 6.0 credits...that too would solve the problem.... not sure exactly how UWO will handle your situation, but call/e-mail the office to find out!

Guest malsa

Hey guys,

I came up against that statement last year when I was looking through Western's policies on admission. Last year I had 2.5 3rd year courses and 2.5 2nd year courses (last year was my third year). I had chosen this distribution of courses cuz in my 2nd year I was swamped with program requirements -- and there were other 2nd year courses that I wanted/needed to take.

Anyway I emailed admissions about applying this year (my first year applying), and they told me that it was fine. They would count that year as part of the two that needed to hit the cutoff. Their official policy was that you needed mostly senior level courses in 2nd year and above - and that in my final year (this year) I had to have a majority of 3rd and 4rth year courses - which was fine. And yes, I did get an interview at Western this year.

So yeah, you should be smart about selecting courses because you don't want to needlessly throw yourself out of the running of being admitted into different schools. (U of T has a similar policy in effect.) My personal experience of Western's admissions procedures is that this really is not a hard and fast rule, but more of a guideline - I don't know if anything has changed since then, so you should contact admissions yourself.

Archived