Premed 101 Forums

Extra Semester + Other Options?

So i'm currently in my 4th year at UTM, I was thinking about taking an extra semester (graduating in November and not June) to raise my GPA (Its currently around 3.8 on the OMSAS scale) but how would Ontario Medical Schools look at courses taken during an extra semester? Would they be included in the GPA calculation and help to increase my GPA or is doing an extra semester not worth it (you would really need an extra full year) and I should just graduate in June? 

I'm still waiting to hear back from Queens and UofT, but I wanted to plan in case I don't get in, if I don't take an extra semester should I do a Masters (but then should I do a course based or thesis based Masters)? 

Also how would an extra semester or Masters be looked at if I apply to MD schools in the US? 

It would be included in your total GPA but you would have to see how it affects some of the grade correction each individual schools do.

A masters does not help your GPA, a course based masters is probably minimally helpful for medical school admission, but may be beneficial down the line if that's your passion. I research masters would be helpful for the research experience. U of T does look positively at graduate degrees but generally for credit you need to finish them before you apply, ie mcmaster for their 1% bonus.

Graduate degree GPAs are not included (or really looked at) in both Canada or the US. AMCAS includes all courses in GPA, but if you go this route consider taking only bio/chem/phys/math courses because they have  separate GPA for that, if that would be lower for you.

3 hours ago, bearded frog said:

It would be included in your total GPA but you would have to see how it affects some of the grade correction each individual schools do.

A masters does not help your GPA, a course based masters is probably minimally helpful for medical school admission, but may be beneficial down the line if that's your passion. I research masters would be helpful for the research experience. U of T does look positively at graduate degrees but generally for credit you need to finish them before you apply, ie mcmaster for their 1% bonus.

Graduate degree GPAs are not included (or really looked at) in both Canada or the US. AMCAS includes all courses in GPA, but if you go this route consider taking only bio/chem/phys/math courses because they have  separate GPA for that, if that would be lower for you.

Thanks!

Also i see that you're doing a peds speciality, can i ask which med school you went to?