Premed 101 Forums

Interprovincial Transfer

Hi,

Has anyone began the process of applying for an inter-provincial transfer, or received any information about when we would need to apply? 

I emailed my PGME and they told me I can only put in a request after the second iteration is done in mid-May. This seems a bit late to me. I have also read the AFMC guidelines and it is a bit confusing. I have heard from residents in previous years who transferred provinces they applied and found out way sooner, but not sure if everything is pushed back this year due to COVID. 

Thanks! 

17 hours ago, bearded frog said:

This is true, they only know their situation for the new academic year after second round (empty spots, department funding etc). In my experience most places let you submit an application at any time but they only do their national exchange of applicants/spots after 2nd round.

Thanks! This doesn't make sense to me though. Why would schools wait that long? Wouldn't they just post any open transfer spots they had in the 2nd iteration of CaRMs?

1 hour ago, anonMD2020 said:

Thanks! This doesn't make sense to me though. Why would schools wait that long? Wouldn't they just post any open transfer spots they had in the 2nd iteration of CaRMs?

It doesn't really work that way. They decide ahead of time how much funding/capacity they have for first year residents prior to CaRMS and then that's their quota. You're welcome to apply to CaRMS in the second round as an alternative to transferring by the way, but doesn't really help if you're looking for a specific place or a compeditive field, plus you'd have to start over as a PGY1, although this may be an option to shift into something like FM from surgery for example. Empty spots after first round are available in second round, after second round empty spots are up for grabs outside the match. The program may instead choose to use that funding to fund a transfer student at a different PGY depending on their capacity. Alternatively, they may specifically be looking for a PGYX transfer to make up service requirements due to residents leaving or going on mat leave or something and needing more call coverage for example. Each institution is different but basically they only know their available funding once second round is over, and sometimes it gets shared between programs ie "department of surgery".