Premed 101 Forums

Laurier V.S. Queen's Undergrad choice

Hi, I'm currently a grade 12 student looking to pursue medicine in my future.  My average is currently 94% and I enjoy biology, chemistry, and math, but i hate physics! I know there's no avoiding it though!  I recently got accepted into Laurier's honours science and health science programs and Queen's honours science program.  I can't decide between which program- at Laurier I could major in Bio and get a wide variety of bio classes and explore other science options- although I don't love learning about plants like the way I love learning about cells!  Or I could accept the health science program but I don't know how well that would prepare me for the MCAT or other career options.

In contrast, I could major in bio at Queens and also take a whole bunch of different biology classes, however, I know Queen's would be a bit harder and my GPA would likely be slightly lower than it would be at Laurier.  Both have their pro's and con's and I can see myself at both schools interacting with friends and professors.  I've looked at the courses taken for all programs at Laurier and Queen's and it's all very similar stuff.

I don't want a highly competitive program so I think anyone of these programs would be good?  Would there be a big difference in where I choose to go?  Is Laurier or Queen's better at preparing students for a future in the medical field?

I can't speak to Laurier, but I went to Queen's and personally I loved it! I also didn't find it hard to do well- even the notorious "hard" life sci courses were reasonable to do well in. Most if not all of our courses had a good chunk of people getting As and A+s. Personally I'd recommend life sci over bio- especially if you don't like plants. Bio is a lot of plants, animals, etc. and from friends in that major it seems harder to me than life sci, although obviously I've never experienced it so I can't say for sure. If you do life sci, I'd also highly highly recommend doing a major over a specialization- as a major there is so much more flexibility in course selection, after 2nd year there are no required courses so you can literally choose the easiest courses. Since at Queen's arts and science are lumped together as one faculty (unlike most schools), you have access to any arts or science courses you want to take.

If you have any other questions about Queen's, feel free to message me!