Premed 101 Forums

Pre-reqs

Guest EMHC

I read on the UWO web page that they want 1 full year of biology with lab. Does this mean that it has to be BIOLOGY and cannot be 2 half year biological science (ie: zoology or anatomy) with lab to take it's place.

yes, you can have to half courses to equal a full course. i went to guelph and we were semestered, so all of my courses were half courses and they counted. this actually can work to your advantage because if you didn't do as well in one course but really well in the other, your gpa may be higher for that pre-req than it would be if you only did ok in a year long class.

Guest aneliz

To confirm:

1.Yes, you can use two half courses to satisfy the 1.0 in biology. Remember that you require 1.0 CREDITS in bio, not necessarily 1 course in bio to satisfy this pre-req.

2. You can use ANY biological science to satisfy this requirement (eg physiology, anatomy, ecology, genetics, etc)...it does not have to be a 'general bio' course BUT it must be an 'acceptable' bio course: it cannot be a 'bio for non-science students' or an 'OAC equivalent'

3. It MUST have a LAB component...if you are using two half credits, they BOTH must have a lab...

4. Biochem and organic chem do not count as biological science at Western...and neither does Psychology...

Hope that this helps!

Andrea

Thank you for your explanation.

Is there a list of "acceptable" bio courses on the UWO site.

Also, I'm doing a Commerce degree right now so I don't have the regular bio courses with a lab and stuff that I can get in, are there any courses at UBC that somebody knows that can satisfy the 1.0 credit biology w/ lab component for UWO?

EMHC

Guest aneliz

The short answer is that there is no such list...such a list detailing every acceptable course from every Canadian university would be quite extensive and almost impossible to keep up to date!

Basically, as long as it is 'university level' (ie required a Gr 12 or OAC bio as a pre-req) and has a lab component, it should be fine.

If you want specific details on your situation, call or e-mail the admissions office and they can give you the final word.

Archived