Premed 101 Forums

What should I do to diversify and boost my application competitiveness during my gap year

I feel kind of lost because I'm going down a path that I hadn't thought of when I was back in school. I'm thinking of doing a second degree at UBC to boost my grades and ECs. I have about 1.5 years before I re-enter school through the next application cycle. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I can diversify and  boost my ECs and other stats during the gap year for UBC med specifically.

Grade Point Avg: 84.7% (AGPA), BA from a US university 

Here are my ECs so far. 

- A cook/kitchen helper for a standalone restaurant - 2 months (and continuing and will continue for at least another 8 months) 

- Media arts volunteer for youth-at-crisis (~1.7 years, ~300 hours)

- Lab Assistant for a chemical testing company (~5.5 months)

- iGEM research student member for ~1.5 years.

- Neuroscience lab volunteer for ~1 year in my second year.

- English language volunteer for a 5th grade student from abroad - 4 hrs (1 hr each week) and continuing.

- Founded a research club but it failed due to funding problems related to covid (not even sure whether to put this down)  ~1.5 years

- Pending a CRC check as a literacy volunteer for aboriginal people/immigrants.

Soccer coach and language tutor in high school (Not sure if I can get a verification for this come applications though) (2 years)

UBC apparently likes to see hobbies and personal interests. A few that I have: 

- Learning 3D modelling for animations and renders

- Have been writing a novel for years

- Travelling the city

- walking long distances from home every evening and listening to podcasts.

Yeah that GPA isn't second degree worthy, nothing wrong with doing more undergrad if you think you can get that GPA even higher, but you could probably just do a post-bac and be in range with diminishing returns past that, especially UBC which takes all your courses and drops your worst year and doesn't give extra points for a second degree.