Premed 101 Forums

pass / no pass classes

Guest rusp123

Guest rusp123

Hey all,

This may have been discussed earlier but does western count pass/no pass classes when determining full time years?

Another question is I graduated from a U in the states that had a quarter system (three quarters and a summer session in a year). Minimum full time was three courses per quarter and normal (which i did) was 4 courses per quarter. With these stats i can't meet western's 5 full courses a year requirement because nobody takes 5 courses a quarter in a quarter based system unless you were planning on finishing a 4 yr degree in 3 yrs. Anyways, i recieved my rejection today because i failed to comply with the admissions requirements. Should i try contacting the admin office and explaining to them about quarter system. any help would be grateful especially from western students.

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm not 100% on the policy considering quartered schools, but I would DEFINITELY call and explain the situation. Be polite but also firm - they get numerous calls from people who don't have good reasons to question an admissions decision, so they can be somewhat dismissive initially (at least that's what I experienced) but if this was an error, they will be more than helpful in correcting the situation. And with your specific case, this could easily have been a matter of misinterpretation. . . but if it's not and they don't consider that a full courseload, don't expect anything.

Hope that helps.

I have no idea how they treat American universities...nor what they consider 'full time' in the US to be....but I am pretty sure that you are not the only one that applied from an American school this year. We have one student in our class that did undergrad in Michigan so doing a degree in the states won't automatically disqualify you. I'm sure that there is a system in place to look at American transcripts. Its possible that your application fell through the cracks somehow.

In my opinion, you won't lose anything by calling the admissions office and asking. Be polite and non-confrontational and you should get a good explanation as to: what they consider full time from a US school, how your application was looked at and if you were rejected due to a glitch. You may be pleasantly surprised...but remember, admissions is not out to get you, they are incredibly busy and sometimes good people get rejected due to technicalities. I have always found admissions to be quite fair and reasonable as long as you have a legit question/concern and you are polite...but remember that they are usually on the defensive because they get lots of calls from some pretty unreasonable people making completely ridiculous demands to be reinstated based on 'special circumstances'.

I hope that you get some good news.

Archived