Premed 101 Forums

Accidentally rejected!!

Guest multifish

Guest multifish

So I had a little freak-out yesterday...OMSAS had not verified my transcript correctly, and

some of my full year courses were recorded as half-courses, so Western rejected me for

not having the basic requirements...luckily I caught the mistake and sorted things out.

But the lesson here is: you can now look at your application info on the OMSAS website.

Double check and make sure it is correct!

Guest UWOMED2005

I think I mentioned this before - the same thing happened to a friend of mine last year: he made the cutoffs, but no interview. A quick call to the admissions office cleared things up. There's no harm calling in this case - don't worry, there's no risk of being "blacklisted" from all the schools just because you checked your app. :)

That being said, if you DIDN'T make the cutoffs and only want to call because you're hoping they'll make an exception in your case because "you really, really want medicine, your friends all say you'd make a good doctor, and what's a few points on the GPA or MCAT anyways?" I don't mean to be rude, but the UWO cutoffs ARE absolute. And our admissions people ARE very busy.

There is a lesson here....when OMSAS sends you a confirmation...READ IT!!!! They don't send it to you just for fun. The time to check for these things is when you get the confirmation....not when you get a rejection that you think you shouldn't have. While admissions will correct the mistake...it is much, much, much easier to do this BEFORE the stage where you have already been rejected. In addition, if you check this with OMSAS early and change it with OMSAS, then you only need to correct it ONCE and not with each individual school. So, please, please read things that are sent to you....you would be surprised at how many people don't and this is a major source of extra work for admissions.

Guest multifish

That might work, if the verification form contained detailed course information and not just a CGPA. As it is, I say access your OMSAS application ASAP and double-check that everything is correct (if you haven't done so already).

Hi guys

I haven't spent much time on the Western board because I'm not applying there this year, but this thread caught my eye. I got a letter from Ottawa saying that I had been rejected for not having met the three year full-time requirement. I knew I had, so I called the office, and even though it took about a week and a half to resolve itself, I got a call today with an apology and a promise to send my file on to reviewers. This can't be the reason for everyone's rejections, but if you're not sure, it can't hurt to check. :)

marty

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah. . . you really shouldn't rely on fixing things at the last minute. The counter example is another friend of mine from undergrad who applied a couple years back and had OMSAS lose some info. While Western listened to her problem, many of the other OMSAS schools said "too bad."

Archived