Premed 101 Forums

Second undergrad degree?

Hi everyone,

I have graduated from UofT with my first undergrad degree, but my GPA was to bad, and I'm considering doing a second degree to apply to med. I know this route would be difficult and need to think carefully, but if I don't give it a try, I would be regret of not even trying.

I need some advices about choosing programs if anyone was in the same situation. Since I cannot make any more mistakes for this decision so really appreciated if anyone could give me some advices as well as your experiences. I'm thinking about some health-related program because if I could never get into med, I would still have a backup plan. So, I'm thinking about dietetics or dental hygiene, but wondering if anyone has done these degrees as your second degree?

For nutrition and dietetics, does anyone know which school I could apply for this program to get a high grade? I did some researches and it seems like not much university have this program in Ontario (Ryerson, Guelph, and Brescia I think). For anyone already enrolled in this program, is this too difficult? Would it be possible to get 3.9+? And which one is the easiest out of those three uni?

Also for the Dental Hygiene degree, I was searching out for some uni like UBC, UofA, Dalhousie..., but it's out of province because Ontario only offer diploma for it. Would this degree be considered as a second degree when applying to med? Someone said they has a Bachelor of Nursing but then has to take another second degree because the BNSc is not approved in calculation, so I'm a bit worried if choosing it because this degree might have clinical practice and I'm not sure if it would count as P/F for marks and not eligible for GPA calculation.

Lastly, does anyone know if we can apply for a second degree at an institution different from where we graduated? We could do that right? Anyone know the process of applying? Could we get admission if our GPA from our first degree is too low?

Thank you for any advices!

I can’t comment on dietary and dental hygiene, but I would carefully research because you are correct that some degrees like nursing have pass/fail courses and are not designed for high gpa. The best degree will be the one you can get the best grades in, and only you can answer that. Computer science, Middle Ages history, piano performance, these days in the post-pre req era it doesn’t matter. You may be able to get credit for courses from your previous degree. It doesn’t have to be at the same institution. I think you should closely review the gpa policy of every school you’re interested in and find out exactly what you need to qualify for gpa weighting in terms of course level etc. admission requirements will vary. You should meet with an undergrad advisor once you know what you’re looking for.