Premed 101 Forums

Residency in Canada from Australian grad??

Hello everybody! For those of you in Canada, I have a question about applying to dental residencies if you have an Australian degree. I'm a Canadian citizen, but I'm doing my dental degree in Australia, so do I have a chance at getting into specialties (at uoft and western specifically) or is it very hard since you didn't graduate from Canada?? And Canada + Australia have a reciprocal agreement, so I just have to write the NBDE, and then I can practice. I also know that many Canadian dental students apply for residencies in the US if they can't get one in the states, but my Australian licence isn't recognized there, and I don't really want to do the extra 2-3 year process of getting a licence there or living there in general lol. 

I'm currently in an undergraduate 5-year program since I entered from high school. I'm specifically interested in OMFS, but I understand this is the most competitive specialty, so I'll just be a GP if I can't get in. And currently, I'm trying to keep a good GPA, some extracurriculars, and I'll likely apply for an externship next year or shadow at an OMFS clinic.

I can't find much info about this anywhere, so anything is appreciated. Thank you! :))

20 hours ago, Emily1234567 said:

Hello everybody! For those of you in Canada, I have a question about applying to dental residencies if you have an Australian degree. I'm a Canadian citizen, but I'm doing my dental degree in Australia, so do I have a chance at getting into specialties (at uoft and western specifically) or is it very hard since you didn't graduate from Canada?? And Canada + Australia have a reciprocal agreement, so I just have to write the NBDE, and then I can practice. I also know that many Canadian dental students apply for residencies in the US if they can't get one in the states, but my Australian licence isn't recognized there, and I don't really want to do the extra 2-3 year process of getting a licence there or living there in general lol. 

I'm currently in an undergraduate 5-year program since I entered from high school. I'm specifically interested in OMFS, but I understand this is the most competitive specialty, so I'll just be a GP if I can't get in. And currently, I'm trying to keep a good GPA, some extracurriculars, and I'll likely apply for an externship next year or shadow at an OMFS clinic.

I can't find much info about this anywhere, so anything is appreciated. Thank you! :))

I'd say you're in an extremely tough position if you want to pick the most competitive specialty. Canada has the toughest admissions process for OMFS due to the number of spots, whereas it is more feasible in the US, however you would not be eligible to apply to the US/would likely have a hard time getting interviews because you would not be able to obtain licensure there.