Premed 101 Forums

Organic Chemistry Requirement

Guest UofT Student

Guest UofT Student

Hi everyone,

I am aware that Western requires a full year (or two half-years) of organic chemistry. My question is as follows: If I do one of the half courses in organic chemistry during the summer, will it still be counted as fulfilling the requirement?

Is there anyone who did a half-course in organic chemistry during the summer to satisfy the "full-year" requirement, and who subsequently got into Western?

Thanks in advance.

If you meet the requirement in the summer, you will meet the requirement. The grades achieved during that summer will not be considered as part of either of your best years' GPA and cannot be added to any "part-time" years to create a full time year. Summer is extra.

I took the second half of my O Chem in the summer, in order to complete it before the MCAT. (Guelph had a funny O Chem schedule where the first half was not offered in the Fall semester.) That was when you needed a full 1.0 credit, which apparently you don't anymore.

(Edited to remove old info. :) )

Short answer: YES

But, you no longer need a full year of organic chem. You need a half course of orgo with lab and either:

a) another half course in orgo with or without lab

B) a half course in biochem with or without lab

You can complete any and all pre-reqs in the summer or by distance or whatever....but they will not count in your GPA and they cannot be used as part of a full course load. (ie you cannot take 4.0 course Sept-Apr and 1.0 in the summer and call that a full year.)

Guest UofT Student

Thanks for your help, mying and aneliz!

Thanks also for confirming that I can't take a summer course + 4 full credits during the year and call that a full year. I'll be taking a summer course + 5 full credits during the year.

Archived