Premed 101 Forums

Need Help Deciding What to Do Following Admission Results

Hi everyone,

I feel like I’m in a bit of a desperate situation where I’m unsure as to how I can improve my application or what to do next. I’m an Ontario resident and applied during the fourth year of my undergraduate degree, and interviewed at Western but ended up low waitlisted. I decided to take a year off to pursue a research assistant position and reapply this year, and ended up interviewing for Mac’s MD/PhD, Western MD, and Memorial’s MD but was rejected from all and low waitlisted at Western again. My OMSAS GPA is around 3.76 and my weighted GPAs for most Ontario/OOP schools hovers around 3.85-3.9. My MCAT total is 511 with an evenly spread score and 129 in CARS. As for extracurriculars I have a wide variety of research experiences, but no publications yet. A few high quality volunteer activities and also a few significant student leadership positions that I’m passionate about. Overall I feel like a well-rounded candidate but I don’t seem to be making it across the finish line... 

Should I consider doing a masters, taking another year off, or potentially pursuing school in Ireland or Australia? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

An application basically has 5ish main components: GPA, MCAT, ECs, LORs, [casper], and interviews. You're getting interviews so we can assume no red flags. Your GPA is ok, and probably low-yield to do more undergrad. Your CARS is a significantly higher percentile than your total MCAT, which may be hurting you at places that look at it. Can't comment on your ECs, but they will be improving every year regardless. How is your interviewing? If you're getting interviews but hitting a wall after that, that may be the issue.

I think my interview skills are improving but I found it difficult to connect with Western’s panel, especially over video. It didn’t feel conversational and some of the questions threw me off, but I still felt that my answers should’ve at least placed me on the normal waitlist.