Premed 101 Forums

YorkU vs. U of T Second Undergrad

Hello Everyone! 

I have been lurking on this forum for years now because I have always been extremrely interested in medical school. However, I was in an abusive relationship in my first year of university and was diagnosed with a chronic illness and tumour after my second year of university. Due to this, my GPA was very low for the first 3 years in university because I refused to take time off of school durinng this time, despite going through surgeries, struggling with my mental and physical health and dealing with my police case against my abuser. However, after my 3rd year, I realized I needed time off and took a year off. Since then, I have gained complete control over my health and I am in a very good place in my life. I am from Vancouver and did my undergraduate at UBC in Nutrition Science. I just graduated in April. 

Here is the breakdown of my GPA (following the OMSAS Conversation table)

1st: 1.33 (full courseload) 
2nd: 1.33 (no full courseload) 
3rd: 3.00 (full courseload) 
ONE YEAR BREAK
4th: 3.93 (full courseload) 
5th: 4.00 (full courseload) 

Here are my ECs: 

• My long-term boyfriend and I have a successful online small-business as a side hustle. I also run our super popular tiktok account.  
  • I work as a contract scientific communicator for a traumatic brain injury blog 
  • I am currently working on a systematic paper where I'll be a second author. 
  • I have 2 years of experience working as an undergraduate research assistant. 
  • In September, I will be working as a part-time research assistant for a lab at U of T. 
  • I am the social media manager for a beauty salon that my cousins own. 
  • I also freelance write for an online science blog 
  • I volunteered at a clinic in an outpatient centre for 3 years. My shifts were 4 hours long, on a weekly basis. 
  • My bestfriend and I share a tiktok account for fun where we post weekly tiktoks about random stuff
  • I am an editor for an environmental awareness blog. The commitment is approx 4 hours per month

My boyfriend accepted a job offer in Toronto and so we will be moving to Toronto in July. I was accepted into U of T and YorkU for second-undergraduate programs. Therefore, I was wondering which school would be better? 

Also, do you think I even have a chance if I complete a second undergrad? Or should I just not even try? I know my overall GPA is EXTREMELY low.