Premed 101 Forums

Western Interview Question

Guest leesh

Guest leesh

Hi everyone,

I had a quick question about UWO interview granting policies. Does anyone know if the dental school will grant an interview based upon one year above 80% (like the medical school does)? I wasn't very serious about school my first two years (and pulled off only about 3.0s in both) but this past year I actually worked and got around a 3.8. I'm positive I can get similar grades this upcoming year, and I understand that UWO doesn't send out acceptances until after final year marks are in anyway. But I would like to know if there would be any point in applying for 2007 acceptance if I only have one year, currently, above 80%. Thanks for your help!

Guest Adversary

UWO takes your BEST 2 years of full-time studies to determine your GPA. From past years, it seems like interviews are granted to people with 85% or higher GPA's. However, I imagine there are those with lower GPA's as well.

Your one year above 80% is not good enough. You should study hard this year so that when you apply again next year, your best two years (full-time) will be competitive. Keep in mind you need a full course load.

Guest predentalguy

im not so sure about what adversary said to be true or not. But what i do know is that if u have one A level year meaning 80 or above u can be granted an interview if your DAT scores are compeptitive... I know this year since the double cohort made things compeitive, the cummulative DAT score had to have been over 90 and the RC had to be over 19 or 20.

Hence I think if u have a a good shot at getting the interview. However, based on previous years statistics those who are granted admissions usually have an average of an 85 in there top two years. So u have to pull off another year like the one u just had to get acceptance.

But to get an interview... one A level year is sufficient to get u an interview as long as u meet the DAT cutoffs too... many people had 85 and 86 averages but did poorly on the RC and didnt get an interview this year....on the other hand I know many people this year who got interviews who were in ur situation ie one year above 80 but received an interview invitation since there DAT scores were over 90 and 20 in the RC.

goodluck...

Guest buzz15

I agree with predentalguy. Although I would like to point out that weighting of the DAT score seemed very odd. Personally I was in the shoes of the Leesh although I had only completed my first year and pulled a 3.85 (OMSAS) my second year. I was waitlisted for an interview this year and never got any further than that because of my DAT scores (85 total w/ 19 in RC). I'm sure for most of the first round interview invites many of the applicants DAT scores were in the 90+ category and, of course, competitive marks. The anomaly with the DAT scores is that I know someone who scored in the low 80's (82 I think with the November 2005 sitting) and recieved an interview off the waitlist. There could be multiple reasons as to why this person ended getting an interview over me like the fact this person was a 4th year, potentially higher marks (but i'm not sure), double major... i really don't know. But the biggest difference was in this person's RC where they scored something like 24. So as it came down to filling the interview spots I think Western's cut off gpa was not far from 80% or a 3.67 ish (based on someone I know with high DAT and 1 year at 3.7) and also DAT scores with a very big emphasis on the reading comprehension section.

Guest Tristan25

Hi there,

So after reading the above posts, I think on the GPA/Marks side I am competitive for an interview (88%/3.92) however, would anyone happen to know what aspect of the DAT UWO places the most emphasis on? I mean obviously as high as possible would be best but for example would it be better to have a 25 on RC and low 80's overall or a 19 reading and a combined score of high 90's-100 or is it some kind of magical combination of the two?

Guest buzz15

Hey Tristan,

From my experiences get as high of DAT scores as you can buddy...low to mid 80's will probably hurt you especially next year with the double cohort graduation. This includes high RC, high bio, high chem, high carve, and high PA. It's easier said than done but if you study hard enough and practice sufficiently with your perception and carving you should be good to go...

Archived