Premed 101 Forums

Getting married and having kids

Guest Aplusdent

Guest Aplusdent

Ok...so for some of you this may be far away...

I was just thinking about this with my sig. other and we were calculating how old we would be in certain stages in our future kid's lives..sad yeah i know. I don't want to be an old parent when my kids are in high school...so i'm thinking we'll have kids when I'm through (or almost through) with dent school...did anyone in dent school know anyone who was pregnant during dent school? How is the last semester in dent like? I'll be 26 when I graduate...I want to have kids before 30...after that seems kinda old... I don't want to be an old geezer when my kids get married and so on. Anyone else thinking about this?

Guest sensodyne

I'm getting married in less than 2 weeks, but I don't plan on having kid(s) until I'm at least through dental school. man...I'm going to be hella busy as it is being in dental school, being married, and juggling my social life. Why bring kids into the picture so soon when you want to be enjoying your life when you're still young? btw, I'll be almost 27 and a half by the time I graduate. Marrying early is one thing but raising kids while I'm still in my 20s is another.

Guest Aplusdent

Yeah...i hear ya...we're planning on get engaged after undergrad (one more year) and marrying during dent school when we're in the same city (hopefully). But I was wondering what the last semester of 4th year is like...is it high stress?

Guest Hugo69

4th year has its stresses. The biggest stress is trying to finish off your clinical requirements and having the patients you need in your portfolio. As a result you are not guaranteed graduation. If you don't graduate on time you have to come back the next September to finish off whatever you have left and they may give you more work to do depending on how they feel about your competency. Hey, I'm almost 28 and will probably get married after I pay off a huge chunk of my debt because whats the point of getting married and having kids with debt? However, I'm not saying its not doable.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

u can get married if u can pay for it or have a way to pay for it, but hold off on the kids. Only get married if your significant other is rich or will have potential to make a lot of money. You don't want to be supporting a wife with debts.

Guest Aplusdent

Lol...well I'll be the wife with debts...since I am female...and he already has his eng. degree and has a job. Have any of you had any pregnant women in your class? Or better yet, are friends with one? I would definitely hold off until the end...since i've heard 2nd and 3rd year are really time consuming.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

2nd year is very time consuming in the sense that most of the stuff you are doing is bull. 3rd year is the worst but also when real dental school begins. After 3rd year is not a bad idea to get married. if your husband already has a job and he doesn't mind supporting you then good.

Females are more advantaged in this sense.....however, in the work place they are disadvantaged for various reasons. One of them being pregnancy. Yet that is not to say that they won't have a good career...depends on what you value most.

Guest TheRetardedOneDDS

Lots of people get married and/or have kids while in dental school. Your personal life doesn't stop just because you're in dentistry.

Don't worry about debt. You'll make plenty of money when you graduate.

The only thing you need to consider is the amount of time you will have to devote to your spouse or kids while still in school. Once you graduate, you can work 3-4 days a week if you want to hang with your kids more.

People here have Type A personalities to the max and will try to give you a list of how to run your life. Do what feels right to you. It will all work out.

Guest cavityfiller

hey.

I couldn't help but reading your post. I remember hearing something along this line for a dental interview question!

(dentistry vs family life)

I think for a female it is harder to say that she wishes to become pregnant during dental school. Chances are that you will be pregnant for a good portion of a dental school year. It's full of random vomitting, back pains and of course a new "stress" on your body. At the same time, you will be studying lots in your classes too. That is why I know a lot of my married friends have not decided to have a baby during dent/med school. Even after the baby is born there will be a lot of responsibility and then you have to attend dental school too! In such case it is always good to think about nanny's or live in babysitters.

However, males have some lee-way. Ofcourse they have to care for their partner, however there is no direct bodily impact on them if their significant other becomes pregnant.

I don't mean to compare the sexes in any wrong way, but I think it's just mother nature's intentions.

GOod luck

Guest Tonick

If you're pregnant during dental clinic work especially, you may be exposing yourself to other hazards. I may be overreacting, but you will likely be exposed to some level of

x-ray radiation and chemicals which could affect the baby. Do a little bit more research into this to ensure that you and your future child is safe, if you decide to go this route.

Whatever you decide good luck in your dental career and your future family plans! :)

Guest TheRetardedOneDDS

Instructors will take precautions to ensure the health of the baby. It's rare that a student will have a baby while still in dental school. When it happens, the faculty will generally go out of their way to be supportive.

Guest Aplusdent

Ok, I know that working in the clinic a woman would be exposed to x-rays and chemicals and sicknesses from her patients. However isn't that the same scenario out of dental school? So you're saying women have to quit their jobs for the entire time they are pregnant..yeah right...I know there are radiation monitors that a person can wear to see how much radiation they are actually getting, and i've read some articles that said that with today's technology there is very little radiation and if you stand behind a wall when you press the button for x-rays the wall absorbs the scattered rays, so the amount you absorb is very little and not enough to harm the baby. I would be more scared of catching something from one of the patients...i'd have to double up on the face masks and gloves.. Now by no means do I want to be pregnant during the full blown part of dental school. Although I'd consider trying during the last semester if everything else in my life were going smoothly. Who knows...I don't even know which country I'll be in next year... Thanks for all the info :)

Archived