Premed 101 Forums

Pre-req Courses

Hi Everyone! 

I understand that UBC doesn't have any formal pre-requisite courses; however, I was hoping some of the current medical students can answer if there are any courses that would be beneficial to take. I'm trying to decide if I need to take a histology course during my undergrad. I've heard that CAPS 390 is an extremely difficult course, and I would like to avoid it if I can, but I am down to take it if it will be extremely helpful down the line.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:05 PM, ubcd13 said:

Hi Everyone! 

I understand that UBC doesn't have any formal pre-requisite courses; however, I was hoping some of the current medical students can answer if there are any courses that would be beneficial to take. I'm trying to decide if I need to take a histology course during my undergrad. I've heard that CAPS 390 is an extremely difficult course, and I would like to avoid it if I can, but I am down to take it if it will be extremely helpful down the line.

You definitely do not need to take histology. There is histology in years 1-2 of med, it’s pretty introductory and not difficult: some people with science backgrounds who have done a lot of that stuff didn’t seem to find it that useful or difficult; as a non-trad I got a lot out of it, but also definitely never wished I had taken it in undergrad. 

Definitely agree with the above.  I never took histology before med and it turned out well for me.  Histology is taught very well in years 1 & 2 and the instructors are helpful and supportive of your learning.  You should be fine if you decide to avoid CAPS 390.

As for other courses, taking gross anatomy and physiology in my undergrad definitely helped.  For physiology, I found a lot of the material (in fact, sometimes same lectures) were repeated in year 1 med, so being familiar with them beforehand was helpful; and for gross anatomy, it's human anatomy so everything will repeat + you'll learn a whole lot more in med.  They can be challenging, but if you put in the effort and generally have good work ethic, you wouldn't be risking your GPA.  But honestly, same logic of why you can avoid CAPS 390 can apply to gross anatomy and physiology as well.  So, it's up to you.