Premed 101 Forums

Which school should I apply to? (Plan on Ucalgary)

HI all,

Was wondering if I have a shot at any Canadian schools, or if there is anything I can do to increase my chance. I haven’t written the MCAT yet, but below is my profile.

I’m 27yo,  moved from a developing country at 18yo and paid for my undergraduate degree with scholarships and working odd jobs. My time with the immigrant community really solidify my choice for med school as I want to become a family doctor that could help and listen to their concern.

My stat:

Overall GPA: 3.8

Master degree

Multiple publications (one 2nd author, co-author on >2 nature papers)

Volunteer during undergraduate (300h). Was also vice president on a non-profit student club.

Volunteer with a gradstudent organization (help them write grants)
Tutoring jobs throughout undergrad and gradschool.

I plan on applying for Ucalgary as they value non-traditional students more. 

Apply to any and all schools that you can based on each school's in-province and out-of-province criteria. If you get multiple interviews, do as many as you can. If you get multiple offers, make a decision from there.

Now, if you are thinking of moving to another province to become a resident over the next 1 to 2 years, then Calgary is a good option. Check out Dalhousie as well.