Premed 101 Forums

did you take American DAT when applying to US schools?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

Given my poor grade this year 4 B-'s, I am looking towards US schools. My only hope is UBC in Canada. That's why I still want to write Canadian DAT.

But since majority of schools I will apply is in US, I am considering writing the American DAT. Do you think it's worth it? Or do most US private schools take Canadian DAT? Thanks!

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

coz UBC sucks lol...Dieselino i don't even know why you care, for all I know he could be from BC.

Ok Smooth, most US schools take Canadian dat. Don't worry about writing the american.

Guest Audio

UBC does suck but hey, if it's the only school you go into, then go for it. I'm sure you'll come out with a similar education to most schools. The reason it sucks is

1) cost

2) @#%$ facilities in the past (but new ones on the way)

3) 2 years of classes with meds

4) shady deposit

but mostly, it's the cost. And it's for all these reasons that it's the easiest school in Canada to gain admission to.

I'm not hating on UBC, if I got in there only, i'd thank my lucky stars and represent but, these are the reasons most people hate on it.

Guest Dieselino

Well it is the only school i got into and waiting for manitoba, but considering the fact that your living on the ocean and its the only city with no snow in this country, you better believe it that you'll be lucky if you got accepted there..... and for cost, I have never heard of a dentist who can't afford to live a good life, soo don't worry about cost bud

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

well according to those many several world rankings, UBC is the third best school in Canada. It is consistently third. With McGill and U of T always around the top. I wouldn't bash UBC just yet. As UBC is probably better than the rest of them.

The shady deposit is to make sure people actually attend that school not using it as a backup. Think about the school's position. They accepted you, means they want you at the school, and supposedly you want to go there too, if not why would you apply? So they are smart in a way...they accept students before other schools do, and require you to put so much money. Either way they will end up the winners. If you deposit and decide not to go, you just paid 1/3 of what most dental schools cost, if you go, then you have to pay them 40k a year. The feeling of security costs money. I think I spent like 7000 on deposits that I just left on the schools because I decided last minute that I didn't want to go there.

As for Dieselino, that makes sense, my bad. I think you made a good choice.

Guest Dieselino

Thank Chosen One, and for cost I think that we're all gonna use that 150 000 loan, so we all gonna be in so much debt. As for van city, it was ranked number one city in the whole WORLD so think about that :hat :rollin

Guest Periolocum

I think Alberta university is probably the easiest to get into... everyone dump their spot, and I heard they have long waiting list... perhaps you can try that...

Guest smooth operater

money is a no issue for me as long I get into one. But of course the less i spend it is better.

My overall average is pretty low right now after 3 years. ~76%. UBC is more generous in GPA department so I have the best chance there and plus I am a BC resident so I may end up saving $ instead going somewhere else.

Thanks for the inputs guys.

TheChosenOne, which school did you actually apply in US. Thanks!

Archived