Premed 101 Forums

gpa cutoff talk

Guest riffraff

Guest riffraff

taken directly from the admissions 2006 book:

Three years full-time university studies leading to a Bachelor’s degree is required.

The minimum acceptable grade point average is 3.40 on a 4.00 scale. The mean grade point average of successful applicants in 2004/2005 was 3.73 on a 4.00 scale.

people on here always talk about how gpa cutoffs are 3.83 ip and 3.87-3.92 for oop... so why's the average gpa for matriculants 3.73?? is it because the gpa's of french matriculants balance it out?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

One factor that would draw the average down would be graduate students who stream through the admissions process via the graduate pool. These students do not have GPAs to meet the standard Ottawa cut-offs, but they advance through to the next stage of the admissions process via their graduate productivity.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

The 3.83 this year was for in-Ontario, out of Ottawa, non-native, non-francophone applicants. 3.87 was same, but out of Ontario. These two categories make up a sizable part, but by no means the near majority of the class.

Guest westerngirl2004

riffraff,

they have different gpa cutoffs for anglophones and francophones, and within each stream, there're cutoffs for (from lowest to highest cutoff) aboriginal, rural, ottawa, other in-province, and out of province.

cheers,

westerngirl

Guest Kooman

Two years ago, I stumbled upon the admission committee's meeting minutes. The file contained all the detailed information regarding admissions such as GPA cutoff for different regions of Canada. So if you really want to know, search on the Ottawa website and maybe you will get lucky ;) .

Guest satsumargirl

If you contact the admissions office they will give you the cut-offs for each group.

Ottawa has an affirmative action plan...so cut-offs vary. If you are anglo from Ottawa the cut-off is lower than if you are anglo from the rest of Ontario. If you are considered to be from an underserviced area of Ontario the cut-off is also lower. The cut-off for the francophone program tends to be lower ( I think less people apply, but there are only about 40 spots or so and apparently the waitlist on that side doesn`t move like the anglo side...you can`t apply to both the franco and the anglo program).

So depending on where you are from and what program you are applying to the cut-offs can be considerably higher than other programs....but when you factor them all together the average is probably alot like other programs.

• 1 month later...
Guest Globle User

Hi there,

I'm a Master's student at U of t in my second year. I don't have the greatest undergrad GPA because of the circumstances I was in, but I really wanted to apply to Ottawa anyway. My WGPA (on the OMSAS scale) is 3.38 and I have A's in my grad courses. I have presented at many conferences, have a lot of research, medical and volunteer experiences and I have also won many awards. I understand that the cutoff for grad students is a WGPA of 3.45, but is this a strict rule or does it still depend on the applicant pool? Do I stand a chance at all? (It's just depressing thinking about it)

If someone can let me know I would really appreciate it. Thanks a million!

Archived