Premed 101 Forums

How to rock the interviews

Guest Hugo69

Guest Hugo69

So I know that most of you guys want to get into dents pretty bad. Since I'll be graduating this year I feel I have been given the priviledge to have had the opportunity to become a dental surgeon. So it's time to give back.

For the interviews, my advice is as follows:

0. Get enough sleep

1. Dress well, get there early

2. Stay calm, focus on what you have to do

During the interview:

1. Initial contact with interviewers, make eye contact and firm handshake, I'd suggest the politician handshake (pm me if you don't know what that is)

2. After every question, pause, think about what they want to hear.

3. When answering the question, don't ramble, make it succint and to the point. Use "key" words in your answers and tie in those key words to yourself.

For ex.: Give a situation when someone was dishonest, what did you do? (this was asked during my interview)

Answer: I said that during one of my final exams at UofT I witnessed a close friend of mine cheat on the exam. At the moment I didn't bring attention to it. After the exam I approached my friend to confront him/her to confirm my suspicion. The friend admitted to it. I explained to him/her that it wasn't fair to the people that studied hard and he/she just brushed it off.

the interviewer then ask, so what did I do then?

well, now you're stuck between a hard place and a rock b/c if you snitch on him you're telling the interviewer that you have no loyalty and are a snitch, but if you don't do anything then you are a pushover. My response was " I went up to the proctor and asked them to be more observant during exams because it would ensure that people have a fair chance"

They said that it was an excellent answer.

4. If you are given a situational question that you've never encountered before, make it up. If you make up the experience, be sure to not expose yourself. My advice is to use facts/knowledge/experience from something else that you're familiar with and construct an experience out of it. Practice. You'd be surprised by how you can make it convincing.

5. When you answer your questions, make sure you tie in why what you did in your situation was important and how it has developed your personality/character over the years.

6. When asked at the end of the interview if you have any questions, always ask something about the school. Never say you have no questions. For example, ask if there are any opportunities to observe/intern with doctors during the summer months off.

7. At the end of the interview, make eye contact and finish off with the politician handshake. Seal the deal.

8. Go on the tours given at the school and ask questions about clinic life, professors, the experience of school, etc. This is the time for you to get as much info out of the school as possible to make your decision if you are accepted to more than one school, or for some if you want to do dentistry rather than medicine.

Hope that helps

Guest sensodyne

that IS a great answer to the "dishonest" question. I had that one for ubc this year and screwed it up majorly.

thanks for all your advice although I will be transferring my score. I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

Guest Adversary

Well, I think it was well-covered. I'll just throw in one point from experience. Take it all in. Go through the whole process, ie. the tours, the presentations, the drive around the city/town. When you get in, you won't have that experience again so make sure you experience the whole process. I had a lot of fun checking out UWO. In fact, I stayed for 3 days and spend my time checking out the place. I have to admit, people from small towns are so much nicer. Everyone makes an extra effort to welcome you.

PS. Try the Under the Volcano Restaurant (Mexican Food)!

Guest shesallDAT

Hey Adversary,

Yeah, I totally agree with you there. I'm going to all my interviews and spending a few days in each place to get a feel for the school/city. After all, I wouldn't want to commit to living 4 years in a place I haven't even set foot in! ;)

I'll be in London this weekend...whereabouts is that restaurant?

Guest roofus

As for restaurant's, I would check out Chauncey Smith's. They have a nice patio in the sun and good food/bevie's.

Chauncey Smith's: A casual stylish take on a Chicago chophouse. Featuring AAA Alberta beef, fresh seafood, Belgian draught and fresh oysters. Convent Garden Market (Talbot and King). 672-0384

The main local haunt for students is:

The Ceeps (inside) / Barney's (outside - much better) Downtown at 671 Richmond Very Very popular with students

Guest Tonick

I was in London two years ago and hung out at the Ceeps, I hated it! All the drunken kids REALLY got on my nerves! The floor was sticky and a couple of beer bottles were thrown around as well, so I'd steer clear of that place.

Guest Tonick

LOL I never said that, it seems like a decent bar, but would you return to a place where beer bottles came dangerously close to your head?

Guest roofus

you are correct though. the ceeps is a little dodgy. it still amazes me to see 200+ people waiting in line to get in there on fri and sat night when its already packed.:eek

Guest Chowchilla

i'd avoid the politician's handshake completely. most people would be uncomfortable with it ... it's like an invasion of their private space when you envelope their hands like that.

Guest roofus

Good Luck on your interviews this weekend.

Be confident, be humble, and relax. Think about what you are going to say. Actively listen when the interviewers are speaking to you. Just be on the ball and be in the moment.

I would suggest that you see London. Look at what the city has to offer. Show that interviewers that you have processed the large responsibility to live in a new city and that you are keen on moving right in. The city is nice since it has all of the ammenities of a large city with the proximity of a smaller city. Go and just drive around so you can comment to the interviewers what you like about the city. Go for a run. Walk downtown, Richmond row, and other places. I feel that to stop in 10 mins before the exam and bolt right afterwards is a little disrespectful to the school and the city.

I know it is difficult with a structured interview to show the interviewers who you are, but try to. When answering questions use anecdotes that show how well rounded you are.

Present examples of sport, art, literature, travel...

Be sure that you understand the concept of empathy. It pops up everywhere. When I had my interview I used examples of empathy and reverse empathy. Show the interviewers that you have feelings and are sensitive to others feelings as well.

Good luck.

• 9 months later...

Archived