Premed 101 Forums

Average number of schools applied to...

Guest Aplusdent

Guest Aplusdent

I just wanted to see how many dent schools people have applied to or will apply to. Since my first two years were incredibly low, I'm applying to 20 schools (both in Canada and the U.S.). I know on average students apply to about 7 schools. Out of the 4 or so students I know that applied to 5-7 schools, they all had one interview. I'm hoping on increasing my odds. Plus I'll be applying as early as possible for the U.S. schools.

So the question is: How many schools for you?

Guest Qwigley

When I applied (two years ago), I only applied to 2 schools. I'd advise applying to more, especially since you can transfer your interview scores and won't have to interview everywhere you're intived for interviews.

However, if you know exactly where you want to go (and have a good chance of getting in), then maybe you shouldn't waste your money applying to lots of schools.

Guest tamkhan1

i only applied to one, uwo. but, thats only cuz i didnt really think my grades were that stellar!

yes, def. apply to as many schools as possible. even if youre sure about where you wanna end up, still apply to several places. avgs keep on changing from one year to the next, and more apps simply means, youre on the safe side.

but the keyword is, APPLY! no matter what!

you think ure grades are not competitve, dont listen to ureself:p APPLY!

i didnt wanna apply to uwo cuz i thought my grades werent good enough. sent in my application on the last day (and, thats the LAST day..lol). but now, im thankful, that i applied.

so, dont underestimate ure self. have absolute faith in ure own capabilities, and ull be amazed at how far you can go in life

:)

Guest uoft Chemistry

one for me, just here at home UofT Dents, wanna be close to family.....and saves alot of cash...plus similar reasons that tamkhan1 mentioned...received interview for UT....hopefully comes april 28th it will be the lucky letter....

Guest Aplusdent

Well I'm doing 5 years for my undergrad...to make up for the low years at UofT. Right now my gpa, dental experience, volunteering, and extracurriculars are stelar...and i know that the admissions committees look for improvement (i'm basically a different person now, a lot more mature and focused). But I still have those two years on my record, so obviously I will have to apply to more schools than the average applicant. I'm not really sure where I want to go either, although it would be more convenient to get into an Ontario school.

Guest uoft Chemistry

Bug2ooth:

I applied to uft dental school only (because I spent too much money on med apps already)....got the interview:

Stats:

4th yr student

CGPA: 3.97

Best 2 years GPA 4.00

DAT: 22+ on each section (except carving bomb it), good luck to you

Guest uoft Chemistry

Thanx wishywishy82,

I'm sure urs is great as well. For me carving was less than 10 so not everything was all great LOL. thanx again and good luck to u!!1 :)

Guest zohaibab

U of T chemistry,

If they don't accept you into their program, I don't know who they will accept! Good luck anyway, I'm sure you don't need it.

Guest uoft Chemistry

Zohaibab,

hey, thanx for the comment, I appreciate it. I hope your right. Sorry about the comments in the other rooms, i hope u know i wasn't directing it at you in anyway at all. BTW what schools did you apply to?, i hope we will all be classmate this coming fall, cause i'm so fed up with undergrad errrrrrrrrrr.............had my last lecture at UT this week as an undergrad, its almost over till exams.........

Good luck Zohaibab, let us know where your heading as well

Guest zohaibab

Haven't taken the DAT yet! But my GPA has been quite solid so far, so I'm sure that won't be a problem. I'll let you know if I need help with applications next year! Cheers.

Guest uoft Chemistry

Not a prolem, just drop me a line when time comes, I'm sure i'll still be hanging around here. Good job on the GPA, u worked hard and I'm sure it will pay off....:)

Archived