Premed 101 Forums

Selling Undergrad Books??

Guest Aplusdent

Guest Aplusdent

I wanted to know (from the current dental students) did you find any benefit to keeping your old undergrad books? Any in particular that you kept and that helped you in dental school? I'm debating whether I should keep some of my core class books (like organic, calc, anatomy, physiology, biochem, microbio...). I usually sell my books on amazon but I thought that maybe it would be beneficial to keep a few. What do you think? Which ones did you keep that you actually used?

Thanks!

Guest sensodyne

why? you'll just have to buy new books anyways that will cover everything you'll need to know in dental school. it's not like any prof will test you on material that was not covered in the lecture or in the textbook. and what do you think would be the chance that the prof will require you to buy a book that you already have? it's most likely that you'll be required to buy a different book or the publisher will just come out w/ a new edition anyways. of course, if you can only get a measly 10 bucks or less for your physiology or anatomy or whatever book that you spent over 100 dollars on, you might as well keep it for decoration.

Guest Qwigley

I agree with johnwoo19; I bought an anatomy book in first year of dental school and I always borrow my roommate's physiology text book (maybe because I knew very little about physiology before I was accepted). I'd keep those two if I were you. You could easily get through school without them though. My school has a good library and I'm always looking up stuff in other anatomy and physiology texts there, so you could always do that if you want to ditch all your books to take in some extra coin and lighten your load if you're moving away for Dental school.

I'm not really sure what's on the American Board Exams (needed to practice in the States), but I hear that Part I has some basic science stuff on it. It sounds like most people buy flashcards to prepare for the exams, but I've heard of others that just used Undergrad notes and texts plus stuff from the first two years of Dental school.

Guest Aplusdent

Thanks! Yeah...i'm thinking i'll probably sell them...I'll have to buy newer versions anyhow (and there's always the library). I usually get a decent return on the books...

Archived