Premed 101 Forums

Transferring cegeps

Franaka

Hello everyone, I did my first semester at a French private cegep and decided to transfer to Marianopolis. Now I would like to  know how was the transfer like the transition for those who transferred cegep and if it’s advisable. I’m also worried that my grades will drop a little because it’s in English but I also want to improve. 

• 1 month later...

I'm currently also at a francophone private cegep (Brébeuf IB) with a bad r score and not transferring to Mari is the biggest regret in my brief yet eventful cegep career. From what I know from friends at Mari, courses are significantly more objective than those at Brébeuf. In philo all my grades come from dissertations and essays but at mari it's more factual questions. If you get an easy teacher English classes are also a lot better but YMMV here. Science classes are also generally better because they're more objective. At Brébeuf I've lost marks in math because my goat drawings in a 30 page project on the monty hall problem were bad and I've lost marks in chem for my project on lattice enthalpy not showing enough 'personal engagement' despite me talking more about how I've loved lattice enthalpy since I was a kid than actually doing calculations. None of this BS exists at Mari.

Other bonuses at Mari include

-Enriched classes with bonus questions (which are hard and the classes themselves are hard to get into too but it's better than nothing)

-A better learning environnement. Your peers will actually try to get decent marks and this should motivate you a lot more than dealing with people who are happy with 34 r scores. 

-Fairer r score calculations. This isn't a terrible issue in IB at Brébeuf but in a few other cegeps I've seen mid-nineties give low 30s and that's just sad.

I don't think you'll struggle with English. I know people who were in the lower levels of English at Brébeuf in HS and who now have 38 at Mari. Try not to let your grades drop for other reasons though. That being said, you get almost no bonus (grades-wise) for familiarity in Cegep. I spent 5 years at Brébeuf for HS and other than knowing my way around the school a tiny bit better it gave me absolutely nothing in terms of grades. Courses are very different from semester to semester in most Cegeps and it won't help you at all to stay in the same one (other than for things like transit).

Good luck at Mari. If I get rejected from med because of my terrible application, I'll try to do a third year of Cegep there, so I really believe what I'm preaching. 

58 minutes ago, NervousStudent said:

I'm currently also at a francophone private cegep (Brébeuf IB) with a bad r score and not transferring to Mari is the biggest regret in my brief yet eventful cegep career. From what I know from friends at Mari, courses are significantly more objective than those at Brébeuf. In philo all my grades come from dissertations and essays but at mari it's more factual questions. If you get an easy teacher English classes are also a lot better but YMMV here. Science classes are also generally better because they're more objective. At Brébeuf I've lost marks in math because my goat drawings in a 30 page project on the monty hall problem were bad and I've lost marks in chem for my project on lattice enthalpy not showing enough 'personal engagement' despite me talking more about how I've loved lattice enthalpy since I was a kid than actually doing calculations. None of this BS exists at Mari.

Other bonuses at Mari include

-Enriched classes with bonus questions (which are hard and the classes themselves are hard to get into too but it's better than nothing)

-A better learning environnement. Your peers will actually try to get decent marks and this should motivate you a lot more than dealing with people who are happy with 34 r scores. 

-Fairer r score calculations. This isn't a terrible issue in IB at Brébeuf but in a few other cegeps I've seen mid-nineties give low 30s and that's just sad.

I don't think you'll struggle with English. I know people who were in the lower levels of English at Brébeuf in HS and who now have 38 at Mari. Try not to let your grades drop for other reasons though. That being said, you get almost no bonus (grades-wise) for familiarity in Cegep. I spent 5 years at Brébeuf for HS and other than knowing my way around the school a tiny bit better it gave me absolutely nothing in terms of grades. Courses are very different from semester to semester in most Cegeps and it won't help you at all to stay in the same one (other than for things like transit).

Good luck at Mari. If I get rejected from med because of my terrible application, I'll try to do a third year of Cegep there, so I really believe what I'm preaching. 

37 de cote R tel que mentionné dans un de tes autres messages c’est vraiment loin d’être mauvais. Dans ma cohorte de cegep, 37 c’était la meilleure cote R et cette personne et plusieurs personnes qui avaient en bas de ça sont en médecine. 
je comprends que la cote peut être stressante, mais il faut penser aux autres étudiants qui passent sur le forum et voient ton message qui rabaisse une telle cote alors que le commun des mortels a en bas de ça ;)