Premed 101 Forums

Hospital medicine fellowship

On 3/18/2022 at 7:33 PM, Clostridium779 said:

Thinking of doing a hospital medicine fellowship after FM residency. Is a fellowship required to get a decent job as a hospitalist? It seems like there are only a couple of programs so I’m assuming the vast majority of FM hospitalists don’t do a fellowship. What are your thoughts on these programs?

Vast majority of hospitallists are just with 2 year FM residency, or older GPs who only did 1 year rotating internship. 

Do the fellowship if you dont feel comfortable after your 2 year program, especially if it wasn't intensive/urban/you feel like you could use more protected time to fine tune your in-patient skills. 1 year is nothing, and you'll feel better off.

That said, you can also just start working and figure it out as you go and spend time fine tuning/learning after shifts.

I think the programs are good, because i've met a lot of horrible hospitalists. But it should be self-selection into the programs.