Premed 101 Forums

UofT Clerkship without a Car

Hi there, 

Just looking to get some advice on how to survive UofT clerkship without a car. We make our selections for sites within the next week, and some of the sites are nearly 2 hours away 1 way by TTC. I physically cannot fathom a world where I will be able to do 4 hours of TTC commuting each day on top of of the clerkship work and course requirements. Do people suggest getting a car in clerkship? Or is it wiser to move around eveyr 6-8 weeks to be closer to your site? Of course not all are distant, but there are a good few chunks that will be. Just looking for some tips/personal experience. Thanks!

20 hours ago, FingersCrossedPls said:

Hi there, 

Just looking to get some advice on how to survive UofT clerkship without a car. We make our selections for sites within the next week, and some of the sites are nearly 2 hours away 1 way by TTC. I physically cannot fathom a world where I will be able to do 4 hours of TTC commuting each day on top of of the clerkship work and course requirements. Do people suggest getting a car in clerkship? Or is it wiser to move around eveyr 6-8 weeks to be closer to your site? Of course not all are distant, but there are a good few chunks that will be. Just looking for some tips/personal experience. Thanks!

Depends on how they distribute sites within your rotation group.

Back in my day (ahhaha it was only 8 years ago!) each rotation group within each academy had to decide how to decide who goes where. Some groups did a lottery, others did a "draft", others just talked among  each other to try and negotiate a fair compromise.

If you don't have a car and you want to avoid that specific site due to that reason, you can talk it out with your group and see what they think, if everyone doesn't want it then your screwed and there maybe a chance you end up with it. If that's the case and it is absolutely not commutable (I think a max commute of 1 hour one way is doable in clerkship, not ideal but doable), then either get a temp place closer to the site or get a car.