Premed 101 Forums

3 Weeks gone

Guest slysniper

Guest wishywish82

i get all worried sometimes and think man what if i totally messed it up, then my boss said i could stick around for a PhD, so I've got options which are good

then sometimes i think i nailed it and will get into a bunch of schools, i guess we'll have to wait and see.

Guest johnwoo19

Do you guys remember if we had to sign our name on the back of the tests? Cuz I have a faint recollection that one of the tests required our signature, but I don't think I signed on the others....

Guest wishywish82

man i get worried when things like that happen, i just made sure that my admissions number was on my sheets, there was a disclosure form or something to fill out and sign.

what worries me is that at the end of the science section the administrator said time's up without giving any notice like "1 minute left" or anything, i was filling in my last answer and went like 3 seconds over time. i made sure i was done with a minute to spare on the PAT and RC. she didn't say anything to me about being disqualified so i think i'm ok, but on the other hand i won't know until i get the mark back

Guest slysniper

You guys wanna hear worse, I forgot to put my id# on the soap. :eek Good thing was the admin lady wrote it down on a piece of paper along with someone else's name wh did the same thing. I also called CDA and she assured me to fix it, so I have my fingers crossed that it all went all right. Well, god knows....

Guest wishywish82

those tests are awful man, i had such a hard time sleeping the night before and i knew i would so i used to stay up until like 3 am and then carve soap that way i got used to doing it all tired and cranky. That day i was just ad predicted tired and cranky from not getting enough sleep the night before, it was kind of like xmas when u were a little kid.

What makes me feel good is that I didn't find it anymore difficult than the practice exams, and some schools don't really even count the DAT as a big thing towards admissions

Guest wishywish82

Dal only counts it as like 10-15% of your overall admissions

They've let in people who broke their soap and got like a 5 on the carving and PAT as long as their grades are good and other stuff is good

Guest wishywish82

I talked to the dean at Dal before I even applied and he said the DAT wasn't very predictive of how well you'd preform as a dentistry student at Dal, in his opinion atleast. Thus they weight it at only 10-15%, GPA is 65% and interview 20-25%.

Think about it, some schools are weighting those 5 hours of your live as 40%+ of your admissions score. It's nuts!!

Anyway I'm sure we all did well!

I'm from the maritimes so it's so difficult for me to get into somewhere else besides Dal, U of A takes 3 OOPs a yr and they're all from Ont usually. The same for McGill and I dunno who Western takes.

My best chances are Dal since I'm from NB, Sask b/c they accept 16 OOP and Man b/c they have a special category for master's students.

Guest slysniper

What do you mean, they like people with masters? I have been thinking about doing masters if I dont get in for Sep. 06, but I dont know if dental schools would let me in if I havent finished it yet by next admission year. Do you know?

Guest wishywish82

yeah it's definitely a no-go getting in out of an uncompleted masters.

Some schools have special applicant pools for people with master's.

I trying to think of a way to apply my master's in pharmacology with a dentistry degree, but I'm coming up blank, I'm thinking of (trying) to get them both to letting me do a PhD part time in the summers and stuff.

Guest power2005

You think you are stressed...

I applied to Dal this year and haven't written the DAT yet!!! I am doing it in February...stressful knowing that they will see it even if I don't want them to!

I'm a 3rd year hoping to get into Dal. However, if it doesn't work out I can still go back and finish my degree and then apply to 3 or 4 schools next year.

But I've still got my fingers crossed!

Anyone know how you get an interview? Is it just cumulative GPA and DAT? Or is it all things considered...references, extra curriculars, higher science GPA, etc...

Greg...hopefully D.D.S to be...

Guest wishywish82

yeah those cubes were messed!!

when i was writing that it seemed like the cubes were jumping out of the page at me.

my best guess is to make it out of 86 or however many questions they messed up on, it's all relative anyway so it doesn't matter if they make it out of 86 of give us all 4 points.

3rd yr from X don't worry man, if you mess up you'll always have next yr. However it is VERY VERY rare they take you with out a degree, but if you can graduate from X in 3 yrs you're ok.

Guest MacStudent

It's funny how easy it is to access hidden databases. The CDA database is just as easy to get into.

I checked my scores and all of yours too. Here's what I was able to find out:

YOU ALL DID JUST FINE!!!! Now go outside and build a snow fort!!!!

Archived