Premed 101 Forums

Is it going to be much more difficult to match in US for residency in 2026 when CMGs will be considered IMGs?

What is it like matching to US residency programs as a CMG vs IMG? I understand the current process, but starting in 2026 CMGs will be considered IMGs and will need to go through one of the "pathways". Will this seriously hinder CMGs who want to go to US? Or will they still have an advantage over other non-US IMGs?

The US isn't as formal with their IMG/non-img distinction vs Canada. I'm not sure how the process will change for applicants vs now (already need visas/NBME, which seems to be the major bottlenecks. It remains to be seen how Canadian MDs will be seen relative to AUS/Carrib/europe, etc. but I don't think the perception will change overnight, McGill will have the same stature it did pre/post, but might diverge over time if the standards change significantly. The variation in US MD schools is WAY more than USMD vs CMD and is likely to stay that way for a while, so the only differences will likely be process/institutional in the short term.

Conversely, trying to match to canada residency after USMD is going to get much worse.

9 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Conversely, trying to match to canada residency after USMD is going to get much worse.

A bit off topic but if the Canadian matching goes back to being first do you see it being harder for other imgs to compete against us imgs? Considering that  us and Canadian schools are very similar and anyone can get into a Caribbean school, this seems logical. If the us match is first I can’t image any usmd not trying to match to the us first and risk being in the img pool for a Canadian match. Canadian and us mds are both loosing out from this but the biggest losers are Canadians studying in the states for their md.

For a Canadian in USMD that wants to come back to Canada it would be far preferable for the Canadian match to be first, as you could fall back to US residency if you didn't match. To answer your question, I think that generally yes, a Canadian to did USMD and has clear connections/desire to return to that province would be preferred compared to the average IMG, contingent on the quality of education. As I say above, there is a huge variation in USMD quality, whereas all Canadian MD would be comparable with US top 50. So yes I think a well-known/respected USMD with clearly compeditive entrance requirements and connected clinicals would be preferred vs Carribean/Aus/Eu, but to what degree preferred, I cannot say.