Premed 101 Forums

DAT November 2005

Guest johnwoo19

Guest spartacus1212

yes, that sucked...spent about 4 mins trying to figure out the problem..because, the CDA never makes mistakes...right?

Anyways, it was OK. I found the biol. questions to be easy but a bit vague, chemistry was easier then I was expecting. The angles were very much harder then any of the Kaplan/barrons practice material and the reading was easy. But we shall see...too bad we have to wait so long...

Guest shesallDAT

Hey,

Yeah, the science section seemed really easy. Perception was harder...the cubes thing threw me...wasted so much time and effort being like "what the hell?" :x I dunno about the angles. I never know for sure when I'm doing it, so nothing really felt different. I saved a lot of stress by just comparing two at a time. Ie, if the choices of smallest were 2 and 4, I'd just compare those two and say "2 is smaller". That would cut 2 choices. Then I'd do the same with the two choices for largest. I dunno...probably did ok...some of them were pretty tough though. Reading seemed fairly simple although there were WAY too many questions on the first passage talking about the cartilage. I was like "are they really asking about this one thing 10 times, or am I doing something wrong?" 0]

Guest shesallDAT

It was a fluted triangle (very short flutes), two small shallow notches in the middle, and a long single flute on the other end. It wasn't quite what I was expecting but I think I did decently...

Guest gettingin

I wonder what CDA will do about the wrong question...if anything! I know that a bunch of people at my test cite didn't finish because they spent so much time trying to figure out what was happening with that question....but then again golden test rule...if you don't know move on! That is what I did and had lots of time to figure it out.

The angles were pretty tricky, but I thought everything else was pretty easy on the PAT. Biology had a lot of genetic questions, and most of them were really wordy questions. Chemistry wasn't too bad.

Got 3 paper towels to wrap my chalk in this year...so hopefully it doesn't get broken in transit again!

Now time to get all those applications done....what the &^$% do you write in a 3 page autobio letter???

Cheers

Guest wishywish82

first thing i did was chip my soap on the fluted end it was looking pretty bad but then the slope to 24 mm straightened it out. my buddy said a few people near him didn't even attempt the fluted triangle b/c they had never carved it before. my carving was done in 16 mins lol ahhh having adrenaline on your side really helps in those tests

the cubes was a mess, the figure was way off the test administrator said she was going to put in a complaint. overall i think i did the same as i did on the prectice but only time will tell:eek

Guest slysniper

Man, that was a quite a carving I thought. I finished on time and had exact measurements. The only problem was that I chipped the top of one of my mid notches and the end of one of triangle flutes. I wonder how badly it would affect my mark. Does anyone know?

Guest wishywish82

i wouldn't worry too much about it, i chipped mine on the flute, but got it back into shape, chipped on one of the notches (really small) and had one edge of the triangle as 12-13mm

you'll probably do fine, there was people at my site who totally messed htiers up

Guest uoft2005

sly, i had the exact same prob as you.

i chipped the top end of the slant while marking it. I doubt it's going to hurt us. At least not much.

The examiner at my place forgot to give the class 5 min warning for the PAT section, and this scrwed up a lot of people. Fuking ass... I had to insanely erase the astericks beside the questions and didn't give me time to look over them.

Anyhow, the exam wasn't too bad. It was actually very similar to one of the practice tests.

Hope everyone performed well.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

THe DAT is the easiest standardized test out there compared to MCAT, LSAT, etc.

dun worry about it

honestly if you bomb the dat, chances are you just didn't study enough for it.

if you bomb the dat even after studying really hard, then may be dental school is not for you.

Soapcarving is a waste of time. I am not talking abotu soap carving, I am referring more to the Academic section as that is that most important one.

No one cares about soap carving....only Canadian schools care so much about that nonsense, except U of T ..the best dental school in Canada.

I'm always the fastest and the best (mark wise) at restorative in my class and in with patients; my patients love me, and I got like a 5 in soap carving. Don't worry about it. I am like already done most of my restorative requirements too to graduate, i'm just chillin' back in clinic and taking my time now waiting for the year to pass.. before graduation..only thing left is to study for these canadian boards so i can get to practice and make some moolah...

i really have nothing else to say except soap carving is soooo not indicative of how well u will do in dental school.

WASTE OF TIME!.

Wow TheChosenOneDDS. It sounds like you worked yourself up into an orgasmic lather telling us how wonderful you are. ;)

I would say with a 5 on the carving you didn't have much choice in Canada other than U of T. Don't get me wrong ... I'm sure it's a lovely school.

Soap carving is just another hoop you have to jump through to get into dent. How hard is it to cut ~10 flat surfaces into a bar of soap? Those with any manual dexterity should have no problems with a little practice. Then you can choose which school you want to attend.

Congrats to those who wrote the DAT this round. Hopefully you will all get the results you are looking for.

Guest johnwoo19

Dent08 has some good points. Anyone can do well on the carving with a bit of practice. TheChosenOneDDS, I wouldn't undermine the importance of the carving section just because you did poorly on it.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

Johnwoo, honestly I got accepted to Harvard, UPenn, Columbia, etc. Even with my carving score, you think i care for going to the other schools in Canada? I just wanted to go to Toronto because it is the best school in Canada and I love my family. I rank in the top 10 in marks in my class and I'm one of the best at restorative. The demos know this. I am not bragging just saying that you don't need to do well on your carving to be a good dentist. Ask John Mayhall, a prof at U of T, they did a study on soap carving published in a journal, it shows an inverse relationship between your restorative mark and how well you did on carving.

NOt trying to stir up trouble or offend, I am merely giving hope to those who do not think they did well in carving that they can still make great dentists. I am in my 4th year in dental school. I think I know a bit more about the process than Dent08, who probably isn't even in dental school. Dent08, when you start drilling you will realize that soap carving has nothing to do with how well u drill. Although, after practice with drilling you will probably do better in carving. That is the problem with predents, they think they know what is going on...you don't. I dun even know everything how can u?

Only possible help soap carving can be is for carving whole crowns, but at U of T, you only have to do a complete crown work up once to graduate and also, the labs tech do that in real practice anyways, unless you wanna be prosthodontist. Even then I did just fine on my crown work up but according to the soap carving theory i am supposed to bomb it...

Soap carving it is a waste of time. They should eliminate it from the DAT altogether. The americans don't have this nonsense on their dat.

I'm a dental student at the U of A. ;)

Feel free to continue patting yourself on the back with your foot in your mouth.

"That is the problem with predents, they think they know what is going on."

Bashing pre-dents on a pre-dent forum? Nice of you to stop by and tell everyone how much better you think you are. Comedy. :lol

Guest johnwoo19

TheChosenOne: What's the problem with the soap carving section anyways? Like Dent08 said it's just another hurdle in the DAT. The academic section is a joke, it doesn't test anything other than how well you can retain information - and the marks on academic transcripts are already indicative of this. As for the soap carving, at least it's a measure of manual dexterity; I don't care if Dr. so-and-so of whatever university conducted a study and found an inverse relationship. Besides, the soap carving section is very reasonable and definitely do-able with enough practice.

If you're attempting to help the prospective dent students on this board, why not suggest ways on how to improve on the soap carving rather than bashing it and stating how unimportant it is? Perhaps some students are interested in Canadian dental schools other than Toronto.

I agree with Chosen One, the soap carving is ridiculous. Teeth don't melt in your hands when you're doing work on them, and by the way, how often do dentists use exacto knives?

The carving isn't supposed to replicate what it will be like working on a tooth. Its testing your manual dexterity, being able to visualize and replicate a 3D object down to exact proportions, and making sure you can work well with you hands.

All are extremely important for being a dentist. People who can't seem to get the hang of carving won't admit that.

When do dentists fold paper, count cubes, and pass objects through apertures? By your logic, the whole DAT is pointless.

p.s. - I used all kinds of knives in denture lab all this week.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

The DAT is pretty pointless.....

I really don't know why they even have it. The PAT is just an IQ test lol.

They just wanna make sure the person who goes to dental school has strong science background and has somewhat of a brain.

Dent08 what year are you in? Have you had a patient yet? Have u waxed up and cut a complete crown? Tell me, how many restorations have u done on real patients? How many complex amalgam cases have you done? Or even extractions? Root canals? I have done all that... My dad's an oral surgeon, my uncle a dentist both even said soap carving is nonsense. If you want to carve a piece of soap well be a carpenter or an artist that sculpts.

I can tell you this, At U of T, I'm one of the best students in the clinic. Hands down. I'm taking over one of my uncle's practices as soon as I'm done. My uncle's friend is also a demo at the school he even said it's great. So I don't know what the hell you are talking about.

JohnWoo stick with your nonsense mcmaster health sci geeks and go to med school. You don't even know what you are talking about. What do you know? My little godbro grad from that he's in meds now, and he even said you're all a buncha losers. I'm all about helping people, but seems like whenever someone has an opinion about something against the norm they get bashed for it. I've seen many on this forum come and go because of this.

You want help with soap carving? Ok how's this pointdexter. Fulcrum. That is using your ring finger of your carving hand to stabilize the hand on the soap. Use your ring finger as a pivotal point to make fine carving and more controlled movements. (i.e. You pivot on your fulcrum finger through the use of your wrists to help you shave off excess.) If you can't fulcrum directly try fulcruming the finger onto the other hand for an indirect fulcrum. You will find this technique useful in ACTUAL DENTISTRY! I bet they didn't teach you this for soap carving. Where did I learn this? IN DENTAL SCHOOL.

Wow. Does U of T have an interview process for it's applicants? Kinda dropped the ball letting you in didn't they.

You're a horrible representative for your school. Best of luck.

Guest spartacus1212

agreed. this guy must be an outcast. and/or has some real lack of confidence problem(s). Thanks for the lesson on carving though...what would we do without you???

I think the following is obvious to everyone:

TheChosenOneDDS got a horrible mark on the carving (5). If there was a correlation between carving scores and dental ability that would mean he is going to be a horrible dentist. Therefore he obviously is going to go out of his way to bash the carving and say it was pointless and there is no correlation with dental performance.

Duh. Bit of a bias there?

Can we move on to something less ridiculous now?

Archived