Premed 101 Forums

DAT November 2005

Guest johnwoo19

Guest apical meristems

Looks like we have someone on the forum that likes to stir things up. Guys, just read his post. He's making rash comments to piss people off.

Ignore him. I'd be surprised if he's even in dental school. Most likely a case of grade 9 and too much time on his hands. Let him stick to his computer games.

Have a good night,

ap

p.s Dent08 - U of A rocks!

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

apical, I wouldn't expect you to come up with such an idiotic reply. Dents08 may be, but apical come on. Thinking I am in grade 9? I mean you have to use your brain here just a bit.

Of course I like to stir things up. That part you got right.

Yes I am in dental school. Seems like this is what happens in this forum and other forums. Whenever someone says something that pisses people off and they cannot come up with a comeback these are commonly used "comebacks":

The person is probably a grade 9 and not who they claim to be...etc.

The person is so immature

The so called "good guys" of the forum all gang up on the poor chap, half of them just agreeing with the post of one of the "good guys"

Dents08, explain to me how I am in dental school if I would make such a bad dentist, bias or not, at least have some basis for your argument. Ask an upper year dental student, I mean one or a few who has worked on patients they will tell you the same, soap carving doesn't really matter coz if you can get in, you'll turn out just fine in the end. You will learn what you need to know.. Duh....you're in dental school you should know this of all people. What about the Americans who get into dental school, i'm sure a lot of them would bomb the soap carving, yet american dentists and dentists from here are still practicing. Honestly, it really doesn't take that much skill to perfect the technical aspects of dentistry that just comes from practice. It is the diagnosing part that requires a bit of brain.

And yeah I have a lot of time on my hands, I worked my ass off in second year and third year, now i'm chillin' in fourth year because I don't need to read books that much anymore. No more real tests to study for (except the boards int he winter)...

Gindy, yes I was an undergrad once. So I am telling you what kinda mistakes NOT to make as a person who has been both an undergrad and dental student. Yet you are making the same mistake that undergrads make. You should really take my word on this. I do know better. When you are in my position you will realize that what I say is true even though you might be too stubborn to acknowledge it just to keep "face."

UT did not drop the ball when they let me in, along with Harvard, Columbia, Upenn, Uconn, etc.. What basis do you have of that anyways? SHould I say on U of A must really be desperate for applicants because they'd accept a douchebag like Dents08? NO. I wouldn't even go that far to say that. The whole issue here is me bashing soap carving. Yet you chaps take it all personal.....when I am telling you from my experience that it makes no difference coz I turned out just as well and competent clinically as the guy who scored 22 on soap carving if not better. Of course I would add some arrogance in it, I deserve it. It's not bragging when you are telling the truth.

Just because I don't sugar coat everything and I am straight and honest about what I say doesn't make me a bad guy. Think about it from my point of view, here I am, Fourth year dental student, about to graduate being told what is important and not important in dental school by people who are like in 1st or 2nd year dental school and even worse undergrad, not even in dental school... If someone gives me @#%$ for what I say, it is natural that I'd defend myself even if all of you go against me.

I am not as popular as apical or dents08 coz i don't constantly "help" ppl so therefore my opinion is somehow less important?

Retarded.

I think what started it all was that stupid remark made by Johnwoo just because you didn't do well don't undermine soap carving...it's like wtf, this undergrad is telling me a 4th year dental student what is important and not important about dental school lol...I have every right to undermine soap carving because I didn't do well in it yet I've done very well in dental school regardless....So to me soap carving is a waste of time...how hard is it to understand that? geez. Just because I don't give u a pat on the back for doing well on soap carving and tell you something you don't like to hear based ON TRUE ACTUAL EVENTS AND EXPERIENCE, not theory, you bash me...haha

Guest hanzotheclown

I agree with TheChosenOneDDS, Soapcarving is not an integral part of Dental admissions. THere are many of Dental Students with soapcarving socres below 10 who will make great dentists.

Plus who cares if he hates soapcarving it is his opinion.

Guest bebostyle

i think if someone does well on the carving then fine, they may be a bit ahead in their manual dexterity, but like anything,practice makes perfect and having more than a tense half hour helps also..

on the other hand, getting a real bad score could just mean you didn' t practice enough !

Guest uoft2005

Dude... U are a fuking troll.

Soap carving is obviously important as it is taken into consideration when undergrads apply.

Seek your pathetic attention somewhere else. I'm sure your patients love your ignorant ass.

Guest wishywish82

yes the DAT and all it's components are important otherwise we wouldn't have to write the test.

how important the dat and soap carving are varies from school to school.

let's just drop it and realize we're all cool peeps b/c we're all going to be dentists

Bottom line: doesn't matter if you think the carving is important later in dental school or not, you need it to get into most of the schools in Canada (all except for UofT) and so it is definitely important for predents

Guest kellyl20

Yes, I agree that soap carving is important to getting into dental schools with few exceptions.

Yes, I also agree that performance in soap carving is not related to how good a dentist you will be.

That is just how it is.

Guest iknowabc123

Tonick said it the best

"I agree with Chosen One, the soap carving is ridiculous. Teeth don't melt in your hands when you're doing work on them, and by the way, how often do dentists use exacto knives? "

:)

Guest hanzotheclown

First of all I think that's impossible since you weren't even born yet. I think you meant my placenta

Second If you are trying to hint at some sort of wierd fetish or crush you may have on me, that has pushed you to try to obtain and funnel my mom's placenta, I think that's disgusting and quite "childish".

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

Spartacus, sorry I am in dental school.

honestly, I bet half of you wouldn't even know who I am when I am in practice. This is merely a forum for me to voice my opinion. Yet it seems that my opinion if not helpful or doesn't sound very nice will make you all cringe.

I really don't care, I'll be out making tons of money when you will still be studying, very soon. Like I said, I already have a practice set up for me and no debts, that is more than most of you can say.

I am an arrogant bastard, but you know, I am that damn good, that's why I'm the Chosen One. Lol...simple.

I can say at least I am in dentistry because I like it, not too much for the money since my dad made tons anyways, I can just live off his money if I really wanted to. That's more honest than some of you who either go in coz you didn't make it to med school or are in it for the money.

Guest AlbertaDent2009

WOW!!!!

Seriously.. I wished my daddy was rich also.. this way I could at least afford to drive a better car or something.. but hey.. we're all going to be dentists one day.. and to think of it.. by then.. we'll all be on the same financial level, given I don't spend it all gambling or something ridiculous like that..

But to be honest.. I am in this profession MAINLY because of the money.. I mean.. what other job can you have that pays well and at the same time allows you to be a family man at the same time? not more than a handful I would assume..

I'm glad that your daddy's rich and you have nice things, but get some dignity, earn some respect, talk a bit more humbly and I'm sure your business in the future will benefit from it too..

some UofA dent guy

Guest NobodyYouKnowDDS

I have finally broke my silence. Seing another U of T brother getting bashed by forum is something I cannot allow, especially this guy. Cannot allow you from bashing this one for the wrong reasons.

He's is arrogant but you can ignore all that part and read what he is trying to say. He's just giving you his two cents. If you don't appreciate it, don't need to start a flame war. THat does not solve anything.

The reason I left was because of all this bickering. Seems like even after the destruction of the old forums, things are still the same. This is what I have to say. Does soap carving matter in dental school? NO.

Why is it important? Just another hoop the dental schools use to make you jump through to help eliminate people for them and it is unfortunate that there are some great people who get screwed but that is how it is.

TheChosenOne is quite a cocky name, and his attitude is not the best, but he was merely pointing out people's flaws, I guess he didn't do it in the best way and also people just don't take criticism that well generally, especially from someone who is already cocky to begin with.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

Wow I'm so honoured to have this guy break his silence, what are you some sort of god now?

Yo, I don't need your help nor did I ask for it, but since u did, I guess I should thank you?

no. kiss my ass you jerk lol...

j/k bro. thx guy. U of T people stick together!

Archived