Premed 101 Forums

Western Application

Guest Meddream

Guest Meddream

It is mentioned that we could include a paper with our applicaion and discuss our qualifications. Does anyone know if this is only if we have a special case that we want to talk about or any applicant can do this ?

Guest shesallDAT

I think anyone can do it...but they don't guarantee it will have any effect on your admission. I included a reference letter in my application....

Really? So we can actually include a reference letter? Did you ask the admissions people if we were allowed shesallDAT? The statement on the form is very vague, and I interpreted it as if you did poorly in a year or a course you should explain why in that letter. So I guess I'm wrong.

Thanks for the info

Guest Meddream

yeah I'm not sure either..in the UOfT application it says that you should include a letter ONLY if you've got an extenuating condition but I'm confused about Western!!

Anyone knows anything?

Hey Meddream, I just checked the website again and this is what it says:

Although the Admissions Committee will act on non-official reports any decisions bearing on acceptance must await receipt of the confirmatory transcripts. Please note, reference letters and personal statements are not officially requested in our application process. Applicants may send the aforementioned information for the attention of the Admissions Committee with their applications. There is, however, no guarantee that the information provided will have an effect on the entrance decision.

So we can send them, but as shesallDAT said, no guarantee they'll use it. It won't hurt to write something up or get a reference letter though.

Guest bebostyle

I think if they wanted things, they'd ask specifically for it, otherwise people woudl be at an advantange to send things while others would not...and clearly they say things depend on 60%academics, 15% dat, 25% interview. I think this goes along with how schools say they look at trend of years, but if western wants 2 good years, it does mean 2 good years, its more of a "to cover our asses" type of thing to say i think on their end if an applicant does not get in they can always say well your trend is this or that, or someone else had a better trend...

Archived