Premed 101 Forums

Should I Retake the MCAT for UBC Post Interview?

18 hours ago, StressedPremeder said:

premed101

Premed101 is not the real world. When UBCs average matriculant MCAT is a 514,  your 92.5 and a 515 is more than enough stats wise. The fact that you're only seeing 517+ MCATs has to do with the Internet's propensity to brag and/or lie.

The classic Premed101 post is the person with a 4.0, 6 first author pubs, and 523 who wants other people to chance them. Do not let those posts, whether contrived or real, to get into your head.

18 hours ago, StressedPremeder said:

I am mostly worried about my post interview shots.

Then worry about your interview.  Your history of WLs points to your interviews being the problem. Your stats are above average for most schools so your history of WLs indicates that stats are not the issue. You're not guaranteed to get a markedly better score on the MCAT anyway, especially if it's been a while since you took the MCAT pre-reqs.

It's true that UBC cares about the MCAT post interview but it cares far more about the interview. If they're using the same method as in the past, and the similarity in admission averages leads me to believe they are, the interview is worth half of the admissions score while the MCAT is only a quarter.

I second what everyone else here has said. From my personal experience with applying to UBC, an MCAT of 515 is more than enough to get in, especially since your CARS score is so great! I had an MCAT of 509 and apparently that wasn't an issue. In my opinion, it might be more worthwhile practicing for the interview rather than retaking the MCAT.