Premed 101 Forums

Confusion on Upper Level Courses completed at NON-UBC university that don't show up in BC Transfer Guide

Does anyone know if UBC MED admissions are picky about which undergraduate program one is enrolled in as long as the pre requisites courses are completed ? For example if I declare a psychology major will that effect my chances? Also, do the upper level psychology courses transfer to UBC MED gpa calculations because I checked on BC Transfer guide and many of them don't....I will be pursuing this degree at a Uni in BC other than UBC  and  I don't want to take courses, spend money on tuition,  do well in the courses and then not even have them counted to boost my marks :( ! I also don't know how I would feel about just taking filler electives in the 100s/200s level just for the sake that the transfer on the BC transfer guide. 

Getting a bit confused on this "university-transferable" course gpa thing! and how it differs from bc transfer credit lol 

Any advice appreciated. Also any feedback on whether part time studies/full-time studies matters? 

Hey!

UBC is pretty transparent about not having a preference for certain universities or majors so you really don't have to worry about that. If you look at the admissions stats, the entering class come from a variety of universities in BC and outside of BC. As well, lots of people get in who are not majoring in life sciences and as long as you have the prereqs, you can really study anything you want! I don't believe your courses have to be transferrable actually. All they will do is take your average gpa and convert that to its equivalence at UBC (while eliminating your worst year). So feel free to take the courses for your major that is totally okay! In fact, UBC Med states in their blog that taking too many lower level electives when you are in 3rd, 4th, 5th year can actually hurt you in the admissions process. 

In regards to your question about course load, if you can, take full-time. That would mean 5 courses per term or 15 credits per term. However, many students work while studying and if you think that taking a slightly lower course load will increase your gpa, then that would likely be okay. On the application form, there's a section for you to explain why you didn't take full course loads for any terms in your undergrad and so you can definitely give an explanation here. However, definitely try your best to remain full-time and if you are unable to due to other commitments, take a single full-time course load to prove you can handle a rigorous course load. Hope that helps!!