Premed 101 Forums

Unique Situation - need advice

Hi all,

I have an unique situation that I need some guidance on. I was enrolled at a dental school and after about the first semester, I quickly realized dental school wasn't for me and decided to withdraw. I had about a 89% average in dental school up to the point of my withdrawal. I was much more interested in medicine and pharmaceuticals, than dental medicine. I have all the requisite grades, extracurriculars, and research experience that a normal applicant would need in order to gain admission to a Canadian pharmacy school. I'm just wondering, is my experience too much of a red flag? Has anyone gone through a similar experience? Or know somebody that has gone through a similar experience? Any feedback would be appreciated.

With your background, I would not consider this to be a red flag situation, mind you, I have absolutely no experience here, just using my judgment, life experience and common sense; if I was on admissions committee, I would understand that you discovered this profession was not for you early in the game, luckily for you, and you want to switch professions. I assume that an explanatory letter would be considered to explain the switch. Best of luck! :P 

1 hour ago, Bambi said:

With your background, I would not consider this to be a red flag situation, mind you, I have absolutely no experience here, just using my judgment, life experience and common sense; if I was on admissions committee, I would understand that you discovered this profession was not for you early in the game, luckily for you, and you want to switch professions. I assume that an explanatory letter would be considered to explain the switch. Best of luck! :P 

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Hopefully your assumption is the right haha

17 hours ago, bobbyboucher33 said:

Hi all,

I have an unique situation that I need some guidance on. I was enrolled at a dental school and after about the first semester, I quickly realized dental school wasn't for me and decided to withdraw. I had about a 89% average in dental school up to the point of my withdrawal. I was much more interested in medicine and pharmaceuticals, than dental medicine. I have all the requisite grades, extracurriculars, and research experience that a normal applicant would need in order to gain admission to a Canadian pharmacy school. I'm just wondering, is my experience too much of a red flag? Has anyone gone through a similar experience? Or know somebody that has gone through a similar experience? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have been on two medical school admissions committees over the past number of years.   Your situation would not be a red flag during the medical school admissions process.  However, ensure, in your application materials, that you describe your situation thoughtfully, and clearly articulate why you have now chosen medicine.

5 hours ago, HounsfieldUnit said:

I have been on two medical school admissions committees over the past number of years.   Your situation would not be a red flag during the medical school admissions process.  However, ensure, in your application materials, that you describe your situation thoughtfully, and clearly articulate why you have now chosen medicine.

That's reassuring for sure. Thank you for the input. I'm transitioning to pharmacy from dentistry. Do you think it's the same idea? Thank you

• 3 months later...