Premed 101 Forums

1 hour ago, docintraining9 said:

@mn098Is ubc your top choice? are you looking to get into u of t or western? 

I would say yes! The only reservation I have is the cost difference. Given that UBC is on a different timeline than uoft and western, it does make the decision a little trickier to navigate (eg. their interviews being in Feburary vs. hearing from UBC now).

I was accepted as an IP student // applied in October 

Stats: 21AA, 21PAT. With my worst year dropped I think it was like ~86%. 

EC’s: Dental Assistant/Receptionist for about 1.5 yr, Shadowing, Volunteering at a hospital (started when I was grade 11 so I really dont know the exact hours), and couple other ec's  

Interviews: MMI was not too bad (Although I wasn't quite sure about the answers I gave during the MMI, I tried my best to show my personality and I think thats what I got me the offer) & SGI was intimidating at first because everybody was so well spoken but after I relaxed a bit, I had lots of fun!! 

1 hour ago, ubcdent2027 said:

I was accepted as an IP student // applied in October 

Stats: 21AA, 21PAT. With my worst year dropped I think it was like ~86%. 

EC’s: Dental Assistant/Receptionist for about 1.5 yr, Shadowing, Volunteering at a hospital (started when I was grade 11 so I really dont know the exact hours), and couple other ec's  

Interviews: MMI was not too bad (Although I wasn't quite sure about the answers I gave during the MMI, I tried my best to show my personality and I think thats what I got me the offer) & SGI was intimidating at first because everybody was so well spoken but after I relaxed a bit, I had lots of fun!! 

CONGRATS! See you in September :)

On 12/15/2022 at 8:25 PM, KoolDentist said:

Received the rejection email today :/ Feeling quite sad considering I made it all the way to the interviews and was so close. Anyone have any suggestions of what I should do to make myself a better candidate for the next UBC cycle? 

Congrats to everyone that got accepted! Proud of all of you :)

Honestly do not give up is the biggest advice. But see if you can take a minor or some extra courses at uni and try to find some extracurriculars to do/Shadowing at a dental office! I was given the advice that they've been looking at volunteer work a lot too. Also a good reference letter/personal statement can make a world of difference. But if you made it to the interviews that means your grades and everything were great but try to practice practice practice for answering the questions. Wishing you all the best! 

On 12/15/2022 at 9:05 PM, KoolDentist said:

@Futuredent02 3.08/4.33 gpa // DAT: 22RC, 21BIO, 16CHEM, 20AA, 18PAT // 130+ hrs dental shadowing // 300+ volunteer hours // some research experience // 

@Futuredent02

Hii, Im sorry about the rejection, I know its sad but don’t ever give up, YOU GOT THIS. I was wondering was your GPA 3.08 (74%) or was this a mistake and your GPA was actually 3.8 (82%)? 

17 hours ago, Brainybunch said:

Honestly do not give up is the biggest advice. But see if you can take a minor or some extra courses at uni and try to find some extracurriculars to do/Shadowing at a dental office! I was given the advice that they've been looking at volunteer work a lot too. Also a good reference letter/personal statement can make a world of difference. But if you made it to the interviews that means your grades and everything were great but try to practice practice practice for answering the questions. Wishing you all the best! 

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely look into all of those things. I guess my grades were good enough just may have not done so well on the interviews. I didn't feel like I did great on the MMI but the SGI was much better. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ortho143 said:

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone could help give input on how to improve my application for next cycle. I did get interviewed for UBC this cycle but did not receive an offer. 

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that.  What are your stats and background like? We could start from there :)

AA: 20 PAT: 20 RC:21 BIO: 21 CHEM: 19. My overall GPA is 3.28. Currently working as a CA at an orthodontic office, worked as a BI previously (Experience with special needs children), over 50 hours of shadowing with a general dentist, 900 hours of community service/charity work and other ECs. I felt that MMI wasn't strong enough. I think I stumbled along a couple of questions. I really enjoyed the SGI.

On 1/13/2023 at 2:12 AM, Starry said:

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that.  What are your stats and background like? We could start from there :)