Premed 101 Forums

carving update

Guest wishywish82

Guest wishywish82

So I just attempted my most difficult carving yet, a hexagon on one end and a round end on the other with 2 notches on each side. It came out OK but it's definitely no 30. Has anyone else tried carving with chalk instead of soap?? Chalk comes off the blade so much smoother and the grip is amazing. Anyway good luck to everyone

Guest shesallDAT

Wow...that must have been some carving! I'm only doing notches and flutes now and having enough trouble with that. :b But, then again, I have been doing all my carvings with soap. I tried chalk a little at the beginning but it feels really different to me. So, decided it's better to learn on the real thing...

Guest slysniper

Hey, have you guys heard of carving other than notches and flutes on the actual DAT? The resaon I ask is because IQ has some wierd serious carving stuff, like the one you are talking about.

I would say that all the carving examples in IQ are good representations of what you will see on the real DAT except the funky end of carving design #9, and the round end of carving design #10.

When I wrote the DAT, the carving was a fluted version of the triangle end of carving design #8, a notch in the middle, and something simple on the other end.

The example in the CDA prep manual is easier than what you will see on the real DAT.

http://www.rockthedat.com

Guest wishywish82

chalk is sooooo much cheeper than soap is, chalk costs like $1 a cylinder where soap is like $4.

I figured it would be a good idea to learn the techniques on chalk and the brush up on soap for game day.

I guess my best advice is to try difficult patterns once you're comfortable with your skills, if you can carve something difficult in 30 mins just think of the time you'll have for something simple.

Guest wannabein

Hi people. I am a first year dent student. Just wanted to let u guys know that there is NO hexagonal notch or flute. The worse u can possibly get is a square notch or a square flute.

hope that helps

wannabein

Archived