Premed 101 Forums

Referees - Urgennnt please help

Hii,

so saying that i'm in a bit of a tricky situation would be an understatement. as you know ottawa requires you to have 3 referees, and my third referee just isn't answering and I don't have a backup, and tomorrow is the deadline. Now I went on the uofo website and I am pretty sure it doesn't explicitly say to not put your family member as a referee although I can imagine its not strongly recommended, but I really dont think I have an other choice at this point. Please please let me know if hou have been in a similar situation and whether I should leave it at 2 referees and risk my application getting disqualified or put like my older brother/sister as I referee. 

Hi,

I'm a first time applicant so I may be mistaken, but I saw somewhere on their website that they consider late submissions from your referees until December (I think as long as you sent the form to your referee). I understand you want someone who can highlight your strengths and qualities but I'm reluctant to put a family member as a referee because they're not as impartial as a supervisor for example. Maybe try to reach out to a coworker ? 

image.thumb.png.02e3080c3a244e8e62f1bf368360e31a.png

https://www2.uottawa.ca/faculty-medicine/undergraduate/admissions/application-process

Under CAFs

Hope this helps

thank you very much cc11 for your reply!

I did miss that information and when I just called the admissions office today they told me the same thing as you did, which is as long as I send the form to my referee they have until december 1st to send it and I also have until december 1st to change that referee if he still cannot fill out the form which gives me time to find anothe referee. 

I wish the best luck in your application!! :)