Premed 101 Forums

guidance for a dental student stats

Hey! It is my first cycle applying so I cannot comment on the nature of the applicant pool last cycle and what factors attributed to you not getting an interview. What I can comment on however are your stats and on the optimism. I personally think they are very  decent stats and you definitely should not give up! Unfortunately, it is just the nature of the process that contributes to the wavering optimism, so I can definitely relate to that. I think it's very easy to lose focus of the big picture and beat ourselves over things that are out of our control (like the competitiveness of the applicant pool). 

However, with that being said, a potential factor might have been the CASPER? Not sure how Toronto weighs it but it seems to be becoming very important in the process (considering that Western has now added it this cycle and USask is experimenting with it).

Honestly, I understand where you are coming from and I am in a similar situation myself so only time will tell. Just stay positive (even though it's easy to say and hard to do :unsure:) and maybe look into pursuing a 1-year masters as backup as you will be awarded bonus points.

On 11/28/2022 at 2:17 PM, dds2T7 said:

Hey! It is my first cycle applying so I cannot comment on the nature of the applicant pool last cycle and what factors attributed to you not getting an interview. What I can comment on however are your stats and on the optimism. I personally think they are very  decent stats and you definitely should not give up! Unfortunately, it is just the nature of the process that contributes to the wavering optimism, so I can definitely relate to that. I think it's very easy to lose focus of the big picture and beat ourselves over things that are out of our control (like the competitiveness of the applicant pool). 

However, with that being said, a potential factor might have been the CASPER? Not sure how Toronto weighs it but it seems to be becoming very important in the process (considering that Western has now added it this cycle and USask is experimenting with it).

Honestly, I understand where you are coming from and I am in a similar situation myself so only time will tell. Just stay positive (even though it's easy to say and hard to do :unsure:) and maybe look into pursuing a 1-year masters as backup as you will be awarded bonus points.

do you know any good masters programs?

• 1 month later...