Premed 101 Forums

Question Re: Electives in Carms CV

Hi everyone, 

Had a question regarding listing electives in the Carms CV, particularly in cases of parallel planning. I've received some advice from some to not list your electives chronologically and instead group them in relevance to the field (and send a a different CV to each specialty). However, I'd say more people are telling me to just list them chronologically to avoid confusing the reader. 

Any thoughts on this? Is this even worth discussing? Not sure how much this even matters. 

Thanks so much

I received advice from a resident in my program of interest to group by relevance. 

Currently my organization looks like:

[Specialty Elective][Location][Duration]

[Elective related to specialty] ... ...
[Unrelated Electives] ... ...

I'm sure, in the end, this all does not really matter much. Personally, I found organization by relevance easier on the eyes and anticipate that there will be less mental effort needed by reader to filter out relevant information.

I listed only relevant electives (in reverse chronological order) to the specialty on my CV when I was going through CaRMS last year, and had a different CV for each specialty I was applying for.

The CV on the CaRMS portal itself is a standard one that gets sent to all programs you apply for, so no way to customize that but realistically, I'm not sure how many programs actually look at that versus just looking at the custom CV that everyone submits.