Premed 101 Forums

UofT Dental School

Hello all, 
I am a second year student here in Ontario studying a biology/genetics related degree. 
I have recently taken an interest towards dentistry as a future career however I am holding myself back. This past semester, I have done horribly in term of marks. I even failed an intro to biochemistry course. I also did very poorly during my first year too. 
I am planning on taking intro to biochemistry (it is a half credit, I know I need to take another biochemistry course which I will be doing in my third year) and hopefully just getting my marks up. I will also be completing an intro to organic chemistry course too next semester. I definitely plan on doing better during my third and fourth (graduating year) as well. Is this even plausible though? Should I apply after I graduate so my fourth year marks are taken into account? When should I take and study for the DAT? 
Thanks very much everyone.

Hello,

yes it is plausible!

from what they explained to me, UofT takes in your best two years if you are applying during 4th year. If you are applying after you graduate, they will take your best three years. So if you feel like your first and second year grades are not competitive, you will have a better chance applying after you graduate. But of course this depends on how your first two year grades are. It doesn't hurt to apply during your 4th year though if you meet the minimum cut off.

I started studying for my DAT during summer of second year and took my DAT in November. I find that most people take their standardized exams around second year or third year. I found taking it after second year was the best for me because I have freshly learned most of the things that were tested on the DAT in my classes so it was easier to study for. 

Good luck!