Premed 101 Forums

Diagnostic Radiology, CaRMS 2023

Did anyone else find it difficult to secure interviews for radiology this year? I personally ended up with a lower number of interviews than I had hoped for and I am curious to hear about others' experiences. Compared to last year, most of my seniors that applied got majority of the schools they had applied to.

For some context:

I applied to 12 programs, and received 4 interviews.

I am cognizant of the fact that radiology is highly competitive. While my application may not have been the strongest, I did not think it was weak either. When I received feedback from radiology residents/mentors on my CV and personal letters, they all gave really positive feedback. My references also assured me strong letters, with 2/3 even offering me a letter in the first place. The only significant drawback on my application was my horrible score on CaSPER (lowest quartile), which I was forced to write while I was super sick. Tbh, I think this may have been one of the biggest factors.

I think the mistake lots of applicants make is assuming strong letters and rotation feedback is specifically unique. I think the vast majority of applicants have strong applications for a specialty.

The key part I feel most miss out on is "relatively" strong. What sets the CV apart? If everyone has about 5 pubs then no one has pubs. If everyone has strong letters then no one does. Especially when this year was exceptionally competitive, I think you did great with 4 interviews.

Also, it only takes one! Do your best to change what you can control; that is your interview performance. Best of luck!

I applied to 13, I got 9, waitlisted on 1, and rejected from 3 others.

I did have a graduate degree and multiple publications but I was very surprised to be rejected by some of the academic-oriented programs. However, I am grateful for the opportunity to interview at all these programs especially given the difficulty of this year's cycle. At the end of the day, I want to train in the imaging sciences and it only takes one.

• 3 months later...
54 minutes ago, adk said:

Why was radiology so competitive this year?

I think radiology in general is fairly unpredictable when it comes to CaRMS. It goes through periods of being competitive and periods of having a close to 1 to 1 match. We just happen to be in a more competitive phase. 

6 minutes ago, RagnarOdinson said:

How far back do you have to go back to have a 1 to 1 ratio though? Feel like Rads has been getting more and more competitive over the past 6 years or so and the trend is holding. 

As recent as 2019, see CaRMS data:

76 ranked as 1st choice, 76 matched, with remaining spots following first iteration.

image.png

16 hours ago, adk said:

Why was radiology so competitive this year?

Medical student interest is driven by a lot of vague factors that no one can control. In the late 201X's, there was a lot of AI fear mongering. Turing award winner Geoffrey Hinton said that we should stop training radiologists in 2016, Elon Musk & Tesla's "self-driving" cars started becoming ingrained in the public consciousness, etc. It was common (and still kind of common) for preceptors of various specialties to make a comment on how diagnostic radiologists would be replaced. In turn, the popularity of radiology decreased during that time.

More recently, students have been somewhat desensitized to AI hype over the past few years, the semi-independent American IR pathway has also increased awareness of DR, and COVID-19 has made certain clinical experiences more unpleasant. Perhaps the more recent release of ChatGPT may increase hesitancy towards entering the specialty in the coming years.

Most radiologists claim that AI will make their jobs easier and allow them to be more efficient. They push back at the notion that it will eventually replace them saying that it under-performs significantly in certain contexts. However, AI will be significantly more advanced in 20 years and may pose a much greater threat...

• 6 months later...
On 1/28/2023 at 4:40 PM, Ldasdass said:

Did anyone else find it difficult to secure interviews for radiology this year? I personally ended up with a lower number of interviews than I had hoped for and I am curious to hear about others' experiences. Compared to last year, most of my seniors that applied got majority of the schools they had applied to.

For some context:

I applied to 12 programs, and received 4 interviews.

I am cognizant of the fact that radiology is highly competitive. While my application may not have been the strongest, I did not think it was weak either. When I received feedback from radiology residents/mentors on my CV and personal letters, they all gave really positive feedback. My references also assured me strong letters, with 2/3 even offering me a letter in the first place. The only significant drawback on my application was my horrible score on CaSPER (lowest quartile), which I was forced to write while I was super sick. Tbh, I think this may have been one of the biggest factors.

Did you end up matching into Rads ( I really hope so)? I didn’t do great in my Casper. How big of a factor can it be?