Premed 101 Forums

Switching my undergrad program (canadian premed)

BugsBunny

Hey all, 

I'm a Canadian premed currently doing an undergrad in biomedical sciences. I'm currently in my first semester of my *second* year and my gpa is horrendous. I'm really weak in math and chemistry and those classes have brought my gpa down to a 3.0 however because of how Canadian med schools consider classes, according to them I'm more like a 2.69. There's no way for me to bring my gpa up to what it needs to be by the end of my degree with the difficulty of my classes and my strengths/weaknesses. 

I'm looking to switch into Health Science which class-wise would be much easier for me and I believe I would get much better grades. But I'm worried that Canadian med schools will frown upon that or hold my previous grades over my head. 

What is the recommended course of action?

You're still early in the game. You can raise your GPA either way. It's not dumb to switch majors after second year as far as I'm concerned. Do your best this year, look into the healthsci courses, and if you dont perform well and healthsci seems interesting, go for it. There's no harm in taking an extra year. A lot of canadian med schools only consider last 2 or 3 years. 2: western and queens, 3: uofcalgary i think, ubc with a letter explaining situation, uofottawa, and i think more. Look into them, I can't remember off the top of my head. You can boost your gpa; dont give up. Do some extracurriculars like research, involvement in clubs, volunteering literally anywhere like a food bank/ research assistant/ on campus, be involved in the community. You're still young my friend, the doors are still open, and if you can bump that cumulative up to a 3.5ish by taking summer school classes and working hard during the year, you can be competitive for international schools and many canadian schools (3.8 last 2 or 3 years). US schools also like upward trends. Study hard for the MCAT too. Healthsci has a good back up plan too; you can get a phd in healthsci and work as a hospital administrator or researcher (probably in the epidemiology field, not sure). Good luck, keep your head up, and keep your eyes wide open.