Premed 101 Forums

Impact of COVID on class of 2023

zxcccxz

So I’m in 3 year program and graduating this year (started my MD at the outset of the pandemic). Our class was hit particularly hard by the burnout of online ZOOM lectures and lack of clinical exposure. I think ultimately something like 20% of students ended up taking a year off and our graduating class is unusually small compared to the average year.

Just curious how other schools have fared through this process, especially the 4-year programs where people actually got through most of 1st year in-person before the pandemic started?

3 hours ago, pinkneuron said:

Wow that's a lot of people. And I don't blame them tbh. I wonder if this means Carms will be more competitive next year...

Statistically, it'll mean a more competitive cycle. There's always open spots in FM for the second iteration, so if for whatever reason there's a higher percentage of people applying family in the first iteration, it may balance itself out and not really change how competitive the cycle is. Although if the extra students decide to apply to something that's smaller, 1 or 2 extra applicants can make for a brutal cycle (as it did for vascular surgery that one year).