Premed 101 Forums

U of A OOP Stats?

Guest shesallDAT

Guest shesallDAT

Hi,

I'm a first time poster but have enjoyed all the helpful info on here. This is an awesome resource! :D

I'm thinking of applying for Dent at U of A (for Fall 2006) as an OOP, and just wanted to know some stats of any OOPs that were accepted for this year. As they only accept 2-3, I suspect the stats are much higher than on the U of A website.

Thanks for the help! :)

Guest Dentosaurus

Forgot about the details (depends on how it is translated), but roughly 3.80-3.9 for avg. ~3.95 pre-req (not factoring in anthing for A+, which amounts to 70% of pre-reqs, may have helped?). Interview, no idea, guess so so. for DAT, did well on everything the school didn't require (>99% cumulative percentile), but may only be around 70% on carving, etc., the significant elements to UofA. Only applied to UofA, accepted, early admission. I know there at least 2-3 out of the first 19 admitted who are OOP.

Good luck.

Guest dentforsure

Hi there, got in off the waitlist at UA as oop, i turned it down...so that means they accepted at least 5 oops.

gpa: 83%

carving: 24

PAT: 22

Academic - 20

reading - 16 :x

these DAT scores were my old scores...my new scores were better...but i didn't send it to UA

Guest Dentosaurus

True, the main reason that I had quite a few sleepless nights during the last few months...:\ Also, I just realized that I missed the reading report by dentforsure, probably because of :( . I actually got a better score there, 20 to be exact --- there isn't much room below 16 since 15 is the cutoff.

I am wondering about some school's (UA included) decision to ignore the academic portion of DAT. Is it because science grades have already been counted in the admission decisions, therefore the academic part of DAT becomes redundant? Still, I thought the purpose of a standard test is to level the playing field and calibrate the grades from different schools. Any thoughts?

Guest Dent08

Yea, I think that U of A ignores it because they feel your pre-req GPA is a good enough representation of how well you know your sciences.

Guest dentforsure

actually dentosaurus...

you didn't miss it...i edited the message...:b

btw...i haven't congrat you yet!!!!!! It's awesome to hear you got in. Best of luck in the fall.

Guest apical meristems

Hey Dentosaurus,

Did you get into Alberta Dent?

Later,

ap

Oh, I see that you did. :) Where are you coming from? I'll see you in August.

Guest Justanotherkeener

Hey dentosaurus, congrats on your admission! Did you just complete your second year of uni? I only ask because you are an OOP applicant and you only applied to UA. Regardless, good luck in August with intro block.

Keener

Guest Dentosaurus

Thank you all for the good will and same to you. I think you, along with many posters on this board, really helped me to prepare for my application (did make me nervous with some of your great credentials though, especially A P). I am in Alberta but not a resident (can that really happen? Yea, for complex reasons that I would rather not elaborate). Not a 3nd year student as my age is sort of given away by my screen name...:\

Funny that one can modify a post (I thought I was seeing doubles...). Maybe I could take back one of my "not-so-nice" posts, just a thought...

Guest apical meristems

Hey Dentosaurus,

You were worried about my stats?? :b Yeah right. You're kicking my butt. By the way, where are you from? I see your OOP.

Did you get your Orientation package in the mail? Just got mine today. :)

Later,

ap

Guest Dentosaurus

AP,

I got mine on Wednesday, I think, since I live close. The way Orientation week is described sounds funny, just hope weather is good. But courses look exciting. I am asian.

As for stats, yes, I was positively worried. Honestly, you and dentforsure kicked mine in the DAT department. Seems many on this board did. Back to the original question of this thread, nothing is one dimensional... So it is good to keep things in perspective.

Archived