Premed 101 Forums

Failing classes during med undergrad?

Guest uOttawaBch

Guest uOttawaBch

Hey all,

I was just curious how common it is for a med student at U of T to be held back due to failing a class? I'm a bit of a worrier, and of course I study hard, but I was just wondering what happens if you fail ASCM1 for example? Is your 1st "F" going to make it very hard for you to ever be placed in CARMS? Any input, experiences, etc are appreciated!

I'm feeling a little anxious / nervous / excited about my first year at U of T...see you all soon!

uOttawaBch

Guest scrubbed

Hello,

I don't think that you should be too concerned about failing classes at U of T.

For a given test in the core lecture courses of Structure and Function, Metabolism & Nutrition, and Brain and Behaviour, the class averages are generally 15-25% higher than the passing mark for the exam.

That said, I'll give a rough estimate of 5-10% of students acheiving below a passing grade for a given exam. In the case that it is a midterm examination, the student would have the option, or requirement, depending on the course, of meeting with the course director and discussing his or her progress. What factors were involved in the student's low mark? How could the student improve next time? The Faculty feels that every student in medical school has the ability to succeed, ptherwise they wouldn't have been selected, and will help him or her to do so.

For certain sections, such as the cardiology and repirology sections of Structure and Function, students were allowed to remediate that exam, if they were below the passing mark, by showing that they understood why one answer was correct for the multiple choise questions that they got wrong.

If students do fail a course, they have the option of doing remedial work, which is completed during the summer months I believe. If the remediation is deemed satisfactory, their mark will be upgraded to a P, with no mention of their remediation on their transcript.

As for ASCM1, you receive regular feedback from your tutor and midterm evaluations. If the tutor feels that students aren't performing up to a certain standard, though ASCM1 isn't too demanding, they would meet with the acadmey director to discuss their progress and do additional work to improve their skills, such as history taking or certain clinical skills. ASCM 1 is also P/F, the only such course like this in first year. Tutors are looking for basic clinical competence; you don't have to be an all star.

If you show up up for DOCH visits and hand in your assignments, you should be okay. Most students get honours in this course.

I hope that I made things a little less scary. Please ask if you need any clarification.

Guest uOttawaBch

Hey scrubbed,

It did help, thanks! I appreciate the quick reply!

Enjoy the heat...(it's been pretty hot in Ottawa)...

Guest scrubbed

I'm glad I could help.

The heat is suboptimal, but not bad for my first summer in Ontario. I read in the Toronto Star that the number of exterme heat alert days is down this year compared to last year.

Apparently, the prevoius winter was milder than normal, so I hit it lucky with the weather this year.

Next year, of course, is going to be brutal as a result!

Take care.

Archived