Premed 101 Forums

PM&R Resident AMA

Hey everyone! I'm a PM&R Resident who went to Canadian Med School. I had a ton of people help me out throughout my journey of applying to medicine, and wanted to help pay it forward. Feel free to ask about anything related to medicine, PM&R, MCAT, etc, and I'd be happy to help. 

Let's keep this a positive space!

• physiatry_md changed the title to PM&R Resident AMA
23 hours ago, Mathimatiquement said:

what is the difference between your specialty and physiotherapy?

Great question! So the main difference is that we manage medical issues for patients in rehab wards (like spasticity, aphasia, autonomic dysreflexia etc) and decide what types of physical modalities patients would benefit from (PT, OT etc). Then, the physios actually DO the modalities (stretching, strengthening, heat/cold etc) with the patients. 

I have a lot more info about this on my physiatry Instagram page as well! Feel free to check it out for more: https://instagram.com/physiatry_md?igshid=OGQ5ZDc2ODk2ZA==

22 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

How commun is it in Canada for PM&R to do pain med or sports med ?

What is the most procedure heavy aspect PM&R practice ? (botox inj., ? spine ? pain med ?)

thanks ! 

Wonderful questions. 

most physiatrists will write the sports medicine exam at the end of their training, allowing them to do sports med clinics! Our training is very conducive to passing the exam and many physiatrists do at least one day of sports medicine work per week. 

there are many procedures you can get involved in, which is the beauty of physiatry. You can certainly do pain, spasticity, or msk injections, or a mix of all of them. Hope this helps! 

• 3 weeks later...