Premed 101 Forums

Medical microbiolgy vs infectious diseases : Why or Why not ?

I've been curious about these two fields.

Why would one go for medical microbiology vs infectious diseases and vice-versa ? Why not both like we do in Québec ?

Can you do medical microbiolgy and then do another year to get infectious diseases certification ? If you are infectious diseases physician can you do an added qualification or an extra year and get medical microbiolgy royal college ? 

How does this work really ?

From personal observation, there seem to be 2 popular routes:

1) do IM, then do combined ID+MM. Physicians who do this route seems to enjoy a balanced clinical and lab practice, although with how busy ID gets and how good MALDI TOF is , the lab component is taking a back seat. So I think the IM/ID route is good for people who enjoy busy clinical consult service. 

2) straight up MM. I believe then you are mostly lab based. I think the advantage is shorter training. I've seem MM do clinical work too, even outpatient stuff like travel clinic. So just because you are not IM/ID certified doesn't prevent you from patient interaction. I think one downside is that MM tends to be salaried and grouped with other lab med like pathology so your earning potential is limited. On the other hand, to my knowledge ID is not a very lucrative field either.

*I do not practice IM, ID or MM